LPCXpresso LPC1769 board not recognized when debugging with LPC-Link2

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPCXpresso LPC1769 board not recognized when debugging with LPC-Link2

asiertapiazulai
Contributor III

Hi, I'm trying to debug the LPCXpresso LPC1769 board with the LPC-Link2 standalone probe:

• IDE: MCUXpresso 11.2.1 [Build 4149] (2020-10-07)
  • Boards:
    • The standalone LPC-Link2 debug probe OM13054 (rev. B) with CMSIS-DAP debug firmware.
    • The old LPCXpresso LPC1769 board OM13000 (rev. C, 2010), with the on-board debug probe.
    • The new LPCXpresso1769/CD board OM13085 (rev. D, 2015), with de on-board debug probe.

The old LPCXpresso LPC1769 board works fine, I can debug it without any problem. But when trying to debug it with the LPC-Link2, the board is not recognized at all. I think we can rule out the usual problems related to the LPC-Link2 probe (drivers, firmware, jumpers), since with it I can debug the LPCXpresso1769/CD board without problems.

Rather, I'm going for a configuration problem. I mean, the LPCXpresso1769/CD board has the JP3 jumper to disable the CMSIS-DAP interface and allow external debugging, but the old LPCXpresso LPC1769 board has nothing like it. Should I configure it in any way?

Any other idea? I insist: with the same probe I can debug the LPCXpresso1769/CD board without problems.

Thanks a lot,

Asier.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello asiertapiazulai,

Just want to know why do you want to use LPC-link2 to debug old LPCxpresso1769 board?

I haven't this board, and it no longer can order, so so method to test, I guess maybe it doesn't support

CMSIS-DAP. how about change the LPC-link2 firmware to J-link?

Regards,

Alice

0 Kudos

asiertapiazulai
Contributor III

Hello Alice,

Simply because I have the board and the probe that adds functionality (you're supposed to sell it for that, right?) and it's normal to want to debug a board even if it's old, right? And because I like to learn and understand how and why things have to be done. Or, when something is not possible, understand why it is not.

In fact, I originally bought the LPC-Link2 for the old board, and bought the new board because I couldn't debug the old one.

The old board has an LPC-Link on-board debugger. But it's not supposed to have anything to do with it, right? In the LPC-Link2 Supported Devices list (https://www.nxp.com/design/microcontrollers-developer-resources/lpc-microcontroller-utilities/lpc-li... appears LPC1769FBD100, the MCU, without any reference to the board.

Well, I thought so, but at the bottom of the same page it reads: "When used as a debug probe: Compatible with tools/IDEs that support the SEGGER J-Link and/or CMSIS-DAP protocols via downloadable firmware image".

It is a bit ambiguous, because throughout the whole page, CMSIS-DAP always refers to the firmware image to be loaded in the LPC-Link2, but okay, there is it (right in the last sentence) and I guess I was wrong and I bought the LPC-Link2 for an unsupported tool.

But I do not give up, I find it difficult to admit that I was wrong Okay, maybe the old board is not compatible with CMSIS-DAP (it does not say it anywhere, but it does not say that it is, and I suppose it will not be), but was it supposed to be with J-Link, right?

Well, it doesn't work either. It won't even turn on if I try to power it with the LPC-Link2 (with none of the firmwares, neither CMSIS-DAP nor J-Link). However, at https://www.embeddedartists.com/products/lpc1769-lpcxpresso/ it reads: "LPC-LINK can be connected to external target processor after modifications to the LPCXpresso board". Although it is not specified anywhere what those modifications are.

Maybe yes? In the end I have found this: https://wiki.segger.com/LPCXpresso_LPC1769. Buff! I'm not at all handy with the soldering iron. If I dare to try it, I will comment if it works.

Anyway, I put it here in case it might interest someone. I doubt it.

Thanks for answering, Alice.

Asier.

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Asier,

Thanks for your sharing, its helpful.

Regards,

Alice

0 Kudos