LPC84x Flash memory access time

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC84x Flash memory access time

Andy_G
Contributor I

Is there any further information available on the trade-offs/issues for changing the flash memory access time (FLASHTIM in the FLASHCFG register).

The following is taken from the LPC84x User Manual (UM11029 Rev 1.7)

Andy_G_0-1664435810911.png

The reset value is the longest access time. Does this give the most stability over the full temperature range? Does it improve the power consumption?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

frank_m
Senior Contributor III

Flash access time is related to core clock frequency.
For higher clock frequencies, you need wait states, i.e. a greater value for said Flash access time.
Higher junction temperatures usually aggravate timing issues. A symptom of such problems are seemingly random crashes / hardfaults.

The relation between Flash access time and core clock should be described in the UM / datasheet, most probably in the Flash section as well.

0 Kudos

Andy_G
Contributor I

Thank you for your reply Frank.

I've not found anything in either the UM of the Datasheet that applies. 

I appreciate that the processor may have to stall due to flash access times, but there is no mention of this.

If there is a stability risk (temperature dependent or not), then there really should be a warning. Hopefully someone from NXP may be able to offer more information.

0 Kudos

frank_m
Senior Contributor III

I am not very familiar with the LPC84x types (which are basically M0).

Here the respective section for a M4:

frank_meyer_0-1664445812210.png

To be honest, I get confused with different documentation strategies of manufacturers.
Others use to separate such features and parameters in a "Datasheet" document, and functional descriptions in a "reference manual" document.
NXP used to put it all in one "User Manual".

I would check the clock settings section (of your UM), perhaps it references flash timing.

0 Kudos