Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC55S69 Boot Process

Jump to solution
le_lathrop
Contributor II

Hello, 

I have few questions about the boot process in the LPC55S69. Although I understand the different boot options (i.e. secure/non-secure and the different types of secure boot) I am having a few issues understanding some of the details of the boot process in general. 

I have taken a look at the datasheet (UM11126) and some of the application notes to try and help me understand. As far as I have understood it, you have to program a boot image and store it into boot ROM. Right? There is no boot sequence that is permanently stored in the device and used if you don't provide a custom boot image. You can program the controller despite not loading a designated boot image into it when you first receive the board. How does the Microcontroller initially boot then? Is a boot image loaded into the controller before it leaves the factory?

A customized boot image is stored in the boot ROM. Correct? Is that the only place you can put it or can it also be stored in other parts of the flash. I looked at Ch. 6 Boot ROM of the UM11126 datasheet to try to understand this. The image header has a field called imageExecutionAddress (UM11126, Table 172). Is this where the start address of where the rest of the boot commands is stored (if they are stored in the flash but outside of the designated boot ROM region)? 

Thank you in advanced for your help. 

Best Regards,

Leah 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI Leath,

UM Chapter 6 mentioned boot ROM code is already in ROM before out of factory. its source code is not share to public.

UM chapter 7 mentioned secure boot is also in ROM before out of factory. User just need follow an12283 to use and enable secure boot feature. please note: once secure boot is enabled, user can't debug it with IDE anymore.

Thanks,

Jun Zhang

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI Leath,

UM Chapter 6 mentioned boot ROM code is already in ROM before out of factory. its source code is not share to public.

UM chapter 7 mentioned secure boot is also in ROM before out of factory. User just need follow an12283 to use and enable secure boot feature. please note: once secure boot is enabled, user can't debug it with IDE anymore.

Thanks,

Jun Zhang

le_lathrop
Contributor II

Thank you for your help. 

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You are welcome!

0 Kudos