Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to program LPC546xx

Jump to solution
fatihozen
Contributor IV

Hello,
I have lpcxpresso54608 evaluation board. I decided to use lpc54608 in future. I am using Mcuxpresso Ide. I want to know how can I program this mcu ? Is there any hardware example to make my own programmer ? 

Labels (1)
1 Solution
bernhardfink
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In both manuals I provided in the links above the following methods are described:

• boot the LPC546xx in mass storage mode
  • boot the device into ISP mode

Both methods work in combination with a PC, either by using the USB port or a serial connection.

For the mass storage method you don't need any tool on the PC, your operating system provides all required tools for that. You see the LPC546xx as a mass storage device (like a USB stick) and you simply drag & drop your firmware binary into it.

For the serial method you can take this tool:  Flash Magic - Welcome 

Both methodes are clearly explained in the user manual of the LPC54608 board in chapter 3. The USB mass storage mode is well explained there and the Flash Magic tool is mentioned.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
bernhardfink
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

How about reading the user manual for the LPC54608 board (chapter 3.1)

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/UM11035.pdf 

and the user manual for the LPC54608 in chapter 5.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/UM10912.pdf 

0 Kudos
fatihozen
Contributor IV

For example,
http://s3.amazonaws.com/emimg/Products/NN-99/USER%20MANUAL.PDF 
Here is an example device to program some nxp devices. But this does not support to program LPC546.

0 Kudos
bernhardfink
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In both manuals I provided in the links above the following methods are described:

• boot the LPC546xx in mass storage mode
  • boot the device into ISP mode

Both methods work in combination with a PC, either by using the USB port or a serial connection.

For the mass storage method you don't need any tool on the PC, your operating system provides all required tools for that. You see the LPC546xx as a mass storage device (like a USB stick) and you simply drag & drop your firmware binary into it.

For the serial method you can take this tool:  Flash Magic - Welcome 

Both methodes are clearly explained in the user manual of the LPC54608 board in chapter 3. The USB mass storage mode is well explained there and the Flash Magic tool is mentioned.

fcopetti
Contributor I

Hi,

One question, I'm about to use ISP for reprogramming the uC in my final design.
In that scenario I don't have control over the reset. 

@bernhardfink Is there a way, after entering in ISP as described in UM chapter 4.6.8 - Reinvoke ISP , to load the new firmware? the device is LPC54616.

Thanks and best regards,

Filippo

0 Kudos
bernhardfink
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Well, "Reinvoke ISP" is meant to enter the built-in ROM code for a re-programming.

There is IAP:

• it provides routines and algorithms to manage the internal flash from a running application
  • it can be used to update the flash with a new firmware, but you need to define such a procedure on your own. IAP just gives you some tools for it.

There is ISP:

• it uses the built-in ROM code to program the internal flash in combination with specific input channels (I2C, SPI, UART, USB)
  • loading a new firmware uses the same protocol as if the ISP mode is entered from a power-on reset
  • before using "Reinvoke ISP", it is good style (or even mandatory) to wind back the system settings to a basic level (switch off PLLs, disable peripherals etc)

Typical use case for IAP and ISP:

IAP:  user connects a USB stick with new firmware binary on it, the product application program takes the firmware from there and updates the flash with it.

ISP: product is connected to a PC with a firmware update utility running on it. User gives an input on the product to update the firmware, the product app reinvokes ISP with USB and the product appears on the PC as mass storage device. Then the PC program can update the firmware, finally the PC Utility or the user restarts the product.

Hope this helps to understand the process,
Bernhard.

0 Kudos
jbhoi
Contributor II

Hi Bernhard Fink,

I tried the mass storage method, device opened in mass storage mode, i can see firmware.bin inside it. But when i delete it and not give permission to delete it..see below error. 

adm.PNG

Then tried to delete it by opening Command prompt with Administrator rights, still same issue. 

cmderror.PNG

0 Kudos
fatihozen
Contributor IV

There is no info about programmer. I don't want any debug spesification. If possible I want to program my mcu's internal flash via PC's usb or serial port. I asked about programmer for that job

0 Kudos