Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC8xx XTALIN voltage compliance

Jump to solution
sh9
Contributor I

Hi!

I am finding the data sheet somewhat unclear regarding the XTALIN pin. I understand that when used with a crystal, and the internal crystal oscillator active, the permissible voltage is limited to 1.95 V.

However, the pin can also be used with the oscillator bypassed, or it can be used as a general purpose pin. My question is: Does the voltage restriction also apply in those modes, or do I only have to obey it when using the pin with the crystal oscillator active?

My specific usage would call for a 3.3V clock signal fed into the pin with the oscillator bypassed. Is it necessary in this mode to limit the voltage to 1.8V?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

>>Is it correct that when the data sheet refers to "slave mode", this is the same as "system oscillator bypass" mentioned in the user manual (for example UM11029 chapter 8.6.4)?

Yes, correct.

>>If this is the case, then is it correct to say that the voltage limit of 1.8V applies whenever the XTALIN function is enabled in the PINENABLE register, and is independent from the setting in the SYSOSCCTRL register?

Yes, but if you use bypass mode( or say, slave mode), you need follow the rule as I pointed out in my first reply.

Have a nice day,

Jun Zhang

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI 

In slave mode, with an amplitude between 200 mV (RMS) and 1000 mV (RMS). This corresponds to a square wave signal with a signal swing of between 280 mV and 1.4 V.

For detail, see DS:

ZhangJennie_0-1605685690348.png

Have a nice day,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos
sh9
Contributor I

Thank you, Jun Zhang, for your reply!

Let me ask one more question to see if I understand you correctly:

Is it correct that when the data sheet refers to "slave mode", this is the same as "system oscillator bypass" mentioned in the user manual (for example UM11029 chapter 8.6.4)?

If this is the case, then is it correct to say that the voltage limit of 1.8V applies whenever the XTALIN function is enabled in the PINENABLE register, and is independent from the setting in the SYSOSCCTRL register?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide!

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

>>Is it correct that when the data sheet refers to "slave mode", this is the same as "system oscillator bypass" mentioned in the user manual (for example UM11029 chapter 8.6.4)?

Yes, correct.

>>If this is the case, then is it correct to say that the voltage limit of 1.8V applies whenever the XTALIN function is enabled in the PINENABLE register, and is independent from the setting in the SYSOSCCTRL register?

Yes, but if you use bypass mode( or say, slave mode), you need follow the rule as I pointed out in my first reply.

Have a nice day,

Jun Zhang

0 Kudos
sh9
Contributor I

This solves my problem, thank you!

0 Kudos