CANbus interface for Android based systems

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANbus interface for Android based systems

robert_koch2
Contributor I

I have a current product with an X86 applications processor running windows. The system uses a usb interface to a LPC17851 MCU to implement a CANbus function. I want to migrate the X86 processor to an ARM processor running Android and keep the LPC17851 MCU for the CANbus function. 

My question is what is the tried and true way of implementing this type of architecture on Android? I see that Android has an automotive HAL and I assume that this is part of the solution. 

I am just looking for experience and advice. 

Thanks,

Rob

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

robert_koch2
Contributor I

Soledad,

Thanks for weighing in. I should have been more clear. The ARM processor is already chosen and does not include a CANbus interface. There are already many other products in the product line and many other features that the existing processor meets. It does not have a CAN interface unfortunately. What I want to do is to add a CAN interface on to the system using a peripheral solution like the LPC17xx. This is really the only option. Do you have any advice for the right architecture to make this work?

0 Kudos

soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

You can start using LPCOpen software for LPC17xx (LPCOpen Software for LPC17XX|NXP )

After download the software you will find a CAN example at the path:

...\lpcopen_2_10_lpcxpresso_nxp_lpcxpresso_1769\periph_can\example

This example describes how to use CAN peripheral on LPC17xx and LPC40xx chip.

I hope this helps

Have a great day,
Sol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I would suggest the i.MX6QuadPlus which it is an Automotive ARM device, with a powerful graphics interface, that allows an easy implementation of Android BSP, and we also offer Android Auto for this devices, and in the near future with the i.MX8QuadMax we are going to support full 4K, with a high graphics support making the android experience easy to handle.

Besides these advantages the i.MX6QuadPlus and i.Mx8QuadMax both have integrated CAN ports, which you dismiss the usage of the LPC device. With this, the BOM is less expensive.

The I.MX families are used for automotive infotainment. 

Have a nice day!

Regards

Soledad

0 Kudos