Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginning with ARM Cortex LPC

Jump to solution
hugo_nicolas
Contributor II

Hello,

I am very new to the arm cortex world, and I have to work with a LPC5411xx for an internship project. Sadly, I am completely lost, and I dont know how to learn to use this MCU, and I have many questions.

I bought the demo board LPCXpresso 5411xx, but even simple example are difficult to understand. (I am using MCUXpresso IDE).

- How can I create a simple project to begin (File>New>Project>C/C++>C project) without unnecessary file for the demo board ? I have created a C project but I dont have a main.c. In the example, there are many others files that I also dont have (drivers ...), why ?

Capture d’écran 2019-06-11 à 14.47.09.png 

- How to learn the syntax of ARM cortex in MCUXpresso ?

- Is it possible to work without demo board ?

- How to learn the base of MCUXpresso, it looks like every tutorial/forum on internet are made for none beginner users.

- I am trying to just turn a pin from 0 to 1, which was easy when I was working with Microchip PIC MCU, but even this seems very hard with the LPC5411xx. How can you program a simple action like this ? I am kind of desperate.

Thank you very much in advance,

Best regards,

Hugo

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

I will suggest to use MCUXpresso SDK. 

LPCOpen and MCUXpresso are software libraries (drivers and middleware) and example programs that enable developers to create multifunctional products based on LPC microcontrollers.

LPCOpen are the previous packages for LPC devices however that are already available continue to be maintained, and can be used with MCUXpresso IDE. Some LPC devices have both LPCOpen and MCUXpresso SDK support,but it is recommended that MCUXpresso SDK be used in order to take advantage of future updates and improvements.

Have a great day,
Sol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

You have two options with this device: 

LPCOpen libraries 

MCUXpresso SDK 

For LPCOpen

I suggest to check the following document, the document shows an example using lpc15xx device, however the process is the same for the lpc5411x.

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-334959

For SDK I suggest to check the MCUxpresso IDE user guide. 

pastedImage_1.png

I hope this helps, 

Regards

Sol 

0 Kudos
hugo_nicolas
Contributor II

Thank you very much, I am starting to slowly understand how to use arm cortex. However, I still have a few questions :

- What is the difference between LPCOpen libraries and MCUXpresso SDK ? Which one is the best for a simple project with only SPI/I2C/and I/O pins ?

- What is the difference between LPCOpen C project and Standalone C project ? Which one is the best for this simple project ?

Thank you very much in advance,

Best regards,

Hugo

0 Kudos
soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

I will suggest to use MCUXpresso SDK. 

LPCOpen and MCUXpresso are software libraries (drivers and middleware) and example programs that enable developers to create multifunctional products based on LPC microcontrollers.

LPCOpen are the previous packages for LPC devices however that are already available continue to be maintained, and can be used with MCUXpresso IDE. Some LPC devices have both LPCOpen and MCUXpresso SDK support,but it is recommended that MCUXpresso SDK be used in order to take advantage of future updates and improvements.

Have a great day,
Sol

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos