Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM / ROM requirements for FreeRTOS + TCP stack

Jump to solution
florian_mayer
Contributor II

Hello,

we are seeking for a FreeRTOS with a TCP/IP stack on a MK64FX512VLQ12. Are there any RAM/ROM estimates available for that combo?

Thanks, Florian

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
santiago_gonzal
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You can compile and check any of the examples that use FreeRTOS and lwIP stack.

The flash for the basic stack + FreeRTOS will be of around 60 kb of Flash. Regarding the RAM memory, it will depend a lot of the FreeRTOS heap configuration and the Tx/Rx buffers of lwIP, but the minimum is 24 kb of RAM.

Regards,

Santiago

View solution in original post

3 Replies
FreeRTOS_org
Contributor IV

It very much depends on the TCP/IP stack you use, and how you configure it.  Up to a point, the more RAM you can allocate to the stack the more throughput you can achieve. 

Here are some numbers of FreeRTOS itself.

Here are some numbers on the FreeRTOS+TCP stack (look at the table at the bottom of the page)

florian_mayer
Contributor II

Hello Richard,

thanks for your timely answer and sorry for my later reply! :smileyhappy:

Maybe I am overlooking something, but on the second link about the numbers of the TCP-Stack, I could only find a table about code-sizes, not about RAM consumption. However, with the statment above on 24k minimum, I believe I could expect to run some diagnostic/logging application for our MCU based device-controller with not more than 100k. I'll have a look into the provided example and play around to get a better understanding of RAM needs.

Thanks and cheers!

Florian

0 Kudos
santiago_gonzal
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You can compile and check any of the examples that use FreeRTOS and lwIP stack.

The flash for the basic stack + FreeRTOS will be of around 60 kb of Flash. Regarding the RAM memory, it will depend a lot of the FreeRTOS heap configuration and the Tx/Rx buffers of lwIP, but the minimum is 24 kb of RAM.

Regards,

Santiago