Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed up Flash execution

Jump to solution
UB39
Contributor I

Hello!

I ve a very perfomance criticle application. So I have to speed up my code. Performance  measurements show that there s a big difference if I boot from Flash or from RAM.  Unfortunately I can only boot from RAM during debugging. It seems that the difference between  RAm and Flashh execution fluctuates very much. I ve code fragments with nearly no difference and some with a 50 percent add on if I boot from flash.

So I m very interested why there s such a big fluctuation and how I can reduce the add on for Flash execution.

Nearly all of my time critical code is part of a big loop. So maybe it might be a solution to copy the time critical code from Flash to RAM. But how?

I use CW 10.1 and a K60N512 Tower Module

Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BenGartner
Contributor II

This appnote describes the process for relocating code to RAM using the linker for Coldfire architecture. The theory is the same for Kinetis. Hopefully this will give you a starting point.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/app_note/AN4329.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BenGartner
Contributor II

This appnote describes the process for relocating code to RAM using the linker for Coldfire architecture. The theory is the same for Kinetis. Hopefully this will give you a starting point.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/app_note/AN4329.pdf

0 Kudos
UB39
Contributor I

Thank you very much for the application note. It helps to reduce the overhead for my most time criticle section from 50 percent to around 30 percent. But there s still an overhead between FLASH and RAM booting although I can see in the *.xMAP file that the relocating works fine. 

Do you ve got any ideas for the reason?

0 Kudos
UB39
Contributor I

Problem solved.

Many thanks

0 Kudos