external RAM for Kinetis KV5x (MKV58F1M0VLQ24)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

external RAM for Kinetis KV5x (MKV58F1M0VLQ24)

Jump to solution
JulianS
Contributor II

Hi all,

we are using the Kinetis MKV58F1M0VLQ24 on a custom pcb and plan to implement an additional, external RAM (>= 512kB) via the FlexBus interface, as the memory of the µC doesn't suffice our needs.

I already collected some information about using external memories on Kinetis Microcontrollers, but didn't find anything specific for the MKV58 I'm using.
Can you tell me where to get some more information about:

- which external RAM chips are supported by the µC

- what performance can be expected?

- are there reference designs to implement an external RAM for the MKV58? By now, I only found the TWR-MEM as a reference, and as I read in the TWR-KV58F220M User's Guide, those two boards are not compatible and therefore not my first choice of reference.

Kind regards,

Julian

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Julian,

FlexBus can support SRAM, but can't support SDRAM. It can support 8bit/1bit/32bit SRAM. And there is no size limitation. The maximum FlexBus clock frequency is 60MHz. If system clock is less than 60Mhz, flexbus can run at same speed. But if system clock is higher than 60Mhz, the FlexBus clock frequency must be an integer divide of the System (CPU) clock.

There is many useful tickets about flexbus in community.

External SRAM and Flexbus - Help Needed 

Flexbus in MQX 

Interfacing a K61 to an external SRAM 

And this is the link to flexbus applicaton notes

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN4393.pdf 

Regards,

Jing

View solution in original post

1 Reply
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Julian,

FlexBus can support SRAM, but can't support SDRAM. It can support 8bit/1bit/32bit SRAM. And there is no size limitation. The maximum FlexBus clock frequency is 60MHz. If system clock is less than 60Mhz, flexbus can run at same speed. But if system clock is higher than 60Mhz, the FlexBus clock frequency must be an integer divide of the System (CPU) clock.

There is many useful tickets about flexbus in community.

External SRAM and Flexbus - Help Needed 

Flexbus in MQX 

Interfacing a K61 to an external SRAM 

And this is the link to flexbus applicaton notes

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN4393.pdf 

Regards,

Jing