cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Kinetis significance?

yasuhikokoumoto
Senior Contributor I

Hi Kinetis users,

I was ordered to write some chapters of the Kinetis featured book which would be published by the CQ Publishing in Japan. I want almost all people to know the greatness of Kinetis MCU. Also I am looking for the advantages to use Kinetis MCUs.
I would like to ask everyone what is your Kinetis MCU or significance of Kinetis MCU.  For example my opinions would be as following.

1) Kinetis is a very low power MCU which has the various power mode including individual power gating.

2) Kinetis is highly secure oriented MCU and the anti-tamper functions are very fine.

3) Kinetis L is especially highly embedded oriented MCU which includes almost all features which would be helpful. BME and the low power peripherals would compensate the lost functions which had been omitted from Cortex-M3 when downsizing to Cortex-M0+.

I will summarize your comments and opinions to show the Kinetis significances.

Thank you and best regards,
Yasuhiko Koumoto.

5 Replies

robotjosh
Contributor IV

For many years I used AVR chips for most everything.  When USB projects started showing up around 2005 I began using the SAM7 chips due to being the most inexpensive USB option at the time.  For around a year now I use Kinetis chips because they are less expensive than atmel's ARM chips and have the most variants.  I never liked freescale in the past because of the proprietary windows-only toolchain, but now they have kinetis design studio which is cross platform and uses gcc.

miduo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I just want to add that Kinetis supports quite a lot of development tools. The most attractive is the KDS(The Kinetis Design Studio). The Kinetis Design Studio IDE is a complimentary integrated development environment for Kinetis MCUs that enables robust editing, compiling and debugging of your designs. Based on free, open-source software including Eclipse, GNU Compiler Collection (GCC), GNU Debugger (GDB), and others, the Kinetis Design Studio IDE offers designers a simple development tool with no code-size limitations.

The Kinetis KDS is offered for free.

yasuhikokoumoto
Senior Contributor I

Hi Fang Li,

you are welcome! I was long waiting for someone's response and now I am very happy. I can agree with you but unfortunately I have not used KDS IDE but IAR (EWARM) and CW (Code Warrior). Could I ask you the advantage of KDS compared with IAR or CW? I am very interested in your answer. Also I am still waiting for more responses from anyone.

Thank you in advance and best regards,
Yasuhiko Koumoto.

0 Kudos

yasuhikokoumoto
Senior Contributor I

Hi Fang Li,

you are welcome! I was long waiting for someone's response and now I am very happy. I can agree with you but unfortunately I have not used KDS IDE but IAR (EWARM) and CW (Code Warrior). Could I ask you the advantage of KDS compared with IAR or CW? I am very interested in your answer. Also I am still waiting for more responses from anyone.

Thank you in advance and best regards,
Yasuhiko Koumoto.

0 Kudos

yasuhikokoumoto
Senior Contributor I

Hi all,

regarding comparison between KDS and CW, it was already discussed in https://community.freescale.com/thread/336297 . Anyway, the fact which we can use free development tool would be one of advantages. Also, I would add an advantage that Freescale provides many sample codes on the web-site and I think they are very useful.

Best regards,
Yasuhiko Koumoto.

0 Kudos