cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transition from PIC32

Jump to solution
joefs
Contributor I

I'm finally transitioning to ARM from the world of PIC32.  I've ordered a Kinetis Freedom demo board, but I am still unclear about actual prototyping with my own boards.

I've combed over data sheets and forums and google searches, but the missing link I cannot find any information on is how do I program the thing in my own circuit (similar to Microchip In Circuit Serial Programming)?  For instance: I will typically write code, simulate it, verify it on a breakout board/breadboard prototype, order the proto PCB, reflow it, then connect the 5 ICSP pins to a PicKit 3 programmer/debugger, and I'm off to the races.

I know the Segger J-Link exists (not sure if that is the way to go).  I know Kinetis Design Studio / Code Warrior exists.  I need to connect the dots on once I've written/compiled/simulated the code, how do I get it uploaded to the device without having to rely on a demo board?  Is there an app note or tutorial that covers that?

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Joe:

Yes, it is possible to use FRDM boards as programmers. Check the next content: Using the Freedom Board as SWD Programmer | MCU on Eclipse

OpenSDA is based on a Kinetis K20 MCU. First version of OpenSDA firmware (as in FRDM-KL25Z, FRDM-K20D50 and others) was not public. But versions 2.0 and 2.1 are open so you can integrate it to your custom boards. Details here: OpenSDAv2.

Back to your original question, there is a wide range of programming options since Kinetis has ARM core. The decision will depend on budget/IDE/features required. Here I leave you just some examples (sorry if I don't share links, but you can find information easily).

- OpenSDA

- USBDM

P&E Micro:

- Universal Multilink

- Universal Multilink FX

- Cyclone MAX

- Cyclone for ARM

SEGGER:

- J-Link

- J-Trace

IAR:

- I-jet

ARM:

- Keil ULINK

:smileyinfo: Not all interfaces are supported by all the IDEs. To verify which tools are supported by a specific IDE there is a space in Freescale's web page: IDEs for Kinetis MCUs|Freescale

These are only the most popular. Also for Kinetis-K family you have the option of EZPORT module, which is a serial flash programming interface via SPI. More information about EZPORT in the reference manual, in the application note AN4406 and in the next community document: How to use EzPort module

I hope this helps!

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Rick_Li
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Joe,

All FRDM board comes with the mass-storage device flash porgrammer openSDA application preinstalled. this OpenSDA can be used to download/program application in CodeWarrior, KDS, IAR, Keil....

For example, when creating a new project for your FRDM board,  there is an option for selecting connection, please check "OpenSDA" and then the created project can be debugged/programmed into FRDM via OpenSDA.

Hope it helps!

joefs
Contributor I

Yong, 

Ok, that helps some, but that is still limiting me to the confines of the FRDM board.  What about when it's time to move beyond that?  Is there any way to hook the FRDM board to another target board, and use it as a sort of pseudo inline programmer?  If so, how?

Joe

0 Kudos
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Joe:

Yes, it is possible to use FRDM boards as programmers. Check the next content: Using the Freedom Board as SWD Programmer | MCU on Eclipse

OpenSDA is based on a Kinetis K20 MCU. First version of OpenSDA firmware (as in FRDM-KL25Z, FRDM-K20D50 and others) was not public. But versions 2.0 and 2.1 are open so you can integrate it to your custom boards. Details here: OpenSDAv2.

Back to your original question, there is a wide range of programming options since Kinetis has ARM core. The decision will depend on budget/IDE/features required. Here I leave you just some examples (sorry if I don't share links, but you can find information easily).

- OpenSDA

- USBDM

P&E Micro:

- Universal Multilink

- Universal Multilink FX

- Cyclone MAX

- Cyclone for ARM

SEGGER:

- J-Link

- J-Trace

IAR:

- I-jet

ARM:

- Keil ULINK

:smileyinfo: Not all interfaces are supported by all the IDEs. To verify which tools are supported by a specific IDE there is a space in Freescale's web page: IDEs for Kinetis MCUs|Freescale

These are only the most popular. Also for Kinetis-K family you have the option of EZPORT module, which is a serial flash programming interface via SPI. More information about EZPORT in the reference manual, in the application note AN4406 and in the next community document: How to use EzPort module

I hope this helps!

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
joefs
Contributor I

Jorge,

Awesome!  All of that info helps greatly, and thanks for the post. 

I just got my FRDM board last night, and quickly found out that it does not play nicely with Windows 8.1.  Always something...

Joe

0 Kudos
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Joe:

You are right, there is a problem with Windows 8.1. But it is well identified and you do not have to struggle with it, please check the links I shared in the next discussion:

Re: FRDM-KL25Z fail to connect

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos
joefs
Contributor I

Jorge,

Will do.  I'll hopefully get that up and running tonight.  Thanks for the help!

Joe

0 Kudos
chrismh
Contributor II

I don't know if there is a tutorial, but I would be happy to share the board I designed to youdo my own prototyping. It is fairly small so is cheap to make. I use a Segger Jlink to program it.

Shoot me an email at hogancm@gmail.com if interested.

Chris

joefs
Contributor I

Chris,

Sent.  Thanks for the response. 

Joe

0 Kudos