Serial Port Connection Failure FRDM K66f

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Port Connection Failure FRDM K66f

isabelheg
Contributor I

I have a K66f board and am attempting to run the Virtual COM cdc Bluetooth example included in the board SDK. However, after launching the appropriate COM port in PuTTY and running the debug function in MCUxpresso, I am receiving an error saying that PuTTY is unable to "read from the serial device" as shown below. I have checked my cables. I tried to run this program with both the power/debug and usb/terminal output plugged into the same windows 10 machine. Thinking that may be the problem, I tried running the debugging/power supply from one windows 10 machine and plugged the secondary usb transmitting the  terminal output in another  windows 10 machine. I receive the same error in all circumstances. Iv'e seen suggestions for re downloading the OpenSDA package, but I know there are problems with corruption in BOOTLOADER mode on windows 10 machines, so I am hesitant to do that. Is re-instillation of the firmware the only practical next step, or are there other options that I could try. Any guidance would be helpful!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

isabelheg
Contributor I

The computer recognizes the usb input, but does not specify it as a Virtual Com port. It is labeled COM4 rather than Virtual Com as your picture shows.

0 Kudos

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Isabel,

Could you please show me how the device is been enumerated on your side?

Regards,

Felipe

0 Kudos

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Isabel,

Are you able to debug your project?

Is the Virtual COM recognized by your PC?

If you are able to load the code correctly to your MCU then the OpenSDA may not be the problem.

Regards,

Felipe

0 Kudos

isabelheg
Contributor I

Hello,

I am able to debug and open the appropriate COM terminal for the second usb in PuTTY, though as soon as the debug completes, my terminal application crashes, so I am unable to determine whether the PC recognizes the virtual COM properly. I can technically choose to run the program, but since my terminal application is crashed by the debugging process, I am not able to see any results. Having made this observation, it seems that the OpenSDA is fine, as you suggested. With that eliminated, I am unsure what to try next.

0 Kudos

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Isabel,

Could you please show me what you mean by "my terminal application crashes". Maybe a snippet or video so I can know exactly the issue you are facing.

Best regards,

Felipe

0 Kudos

isabelheg
Contributor I

I included an attachment of the error in the original question. As soon as I press okay on the dialog box, the terminal window closes and the Putty program immediately quits. 

0 Kudos

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Isabel,

Then the error occurs after you have programmed your board. Could you please verify that the device has been enumerated in the Device Manager. It should look as follows:

pastedImage_1.png

Best regards,

Felipe

0 Kudos