cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PWM termination using the analogue comparator

rob1234
Contributor I

Hello

Please can you list all of the Kinetis and LPC family members that have a PWM capable timer and analogue comparator that can perform the following function in hardware (no software intervention):

1. You set up the timer to perform a fixed frequency PWM output with a duty cycle of 50%

2. You set up the analogue comparator to trigger when the :smileyplus: pin is connected to a fixed voltage reference and the - pin is connected to an analogue input voltage.

3. The analogue comparator output automatically terminates the "ON" time of the PWM output if the input exceeds the reference threshold before the high level PWM output reaches 50% duty cycle. The only delay in terminating the PWM output in the system is the propagation delay of the analogue comparator (no additional clock cycles).

4. Once the PWM period has finished and a new period commences, the PWM duty cycle returns to 50% unless the comparator output is still high or the comparator trigger terminates the PWM "ON" time before it reaches 50%.

Please note that the comparator trigger output must reset itself once the input falls below the reference threshold (no software intervention).

This process is repeated continuously.

The effect of this set up is to control the "ON" time of the PWM period by the analogue comparator output, and not through any software adjustment of the duty cycle on the timer registers.

The software will control the OFF time (period) by making corrective changes to the period, but not on a cycle by cycle basis (example, the period will be adjusted every 5 or 10 PWM outputs)

The purpose of this function is to carry out Digital Power conversion using the MCU whereby the PWM output drives a MOSFET that is switching an inductor on/off to step up or step down a voltage.

I am also interested to know which Kinetis & LPC family members can be set up for:

1. Dual MOSFET control from one comparator for Push-Pull, half-bridge, LLC converters or dual phase converters

2. Quad MOSFET control from one comparator for full bridge control or Multi-phase converters

3. Independent channels using two or more internal comparators to terminate the PWM timers for examples such as

a. PFC + flyback (1 x PWM timer + 1 x PWM timer + 2 x comparators)

b. PFC + Forward converter + synchronous rectification (1 x PWM timer + 1 x PWM timer + 2 x PWM timer + 3 x comparators)

In each case the PWM timer must have its own timer that is independent of the other timers, so they don't have to share the same period (frequency).

Regards

Robert

0 Kudos
1 Reply

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Robert,

Regarding your question, unfortunately, I am only familiar with Freescale processor, I am not familiar with LPC family, I only talk about old freescale processor. As far as I know that the triditional PWM module, FTM, eFlexPWM, eTPU modules can generate PWM signals, the Kinetis K family has FTM module, the DSC and Kinetis KV family have eFlexPWM module, MPC56xx has eTPU module.

For your application of energy conversion, I suggest you use eFlexPWM module, the eFlexPWM module has 4 Timer sub modules, one EflexPWM can output at most 12 channels PWM signals, both rising/falling edges can be controlled for almost each PWM channels, furthermore, there is an on-chip PLL for the eFlexPWM, it can output 312 pS resolution PWM, which can improve PWM resolution, the feature is called nano-edge placement.

Regarding your application, both KV5x and MC56F84xxx have analog comparator(CMP) and eFlexPWM module, the CMP has an analog 6 bits DAC and can generate reference voltage internally. The CMP output signal can be as a fault signal, which can be connected to fault signal of eFlexPWM module via crossbar and disable PWM signal automatically.

Regarding your application of Push-Pull, half-bridge, LLC converters for DC/DC converter, we have reference design based on DSC, but I do not know what dual phase converter is. For the PFC application, we have multiple reference design based on current-peak algorithms/bootst layout based on MC56F84789, but I think it is okay to port to KV family.

In conclusion, I suggest you use Kinetis KV5x family or DSC MC56F84xxx or MC56F82xxx to develop the application, the tools is KDS tools for KV and CodeWarrior tools for DSC.

This is Kinetis family website:

Kinetis Low Power 32-bit ARM Cortex-M MCUs|NXPxxx

KV5x website:

KV5x|Kinetis KV5x Connected Control MCUs|NXP

DSC website:

Digital Signal Controllers|NXP

If you need LPC information, I hope the other engineer can post something here.

Hope it can help you.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos