MKE02 availability

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MKE02 availability

dporada
Contributor III

Has anybody had trouble getting parts?  We have a design using MKE02Z32VLC4 and we sell around 15K/year.  After covid hit, we placed an order with a distributer in April 2021 for 20K parts. In November 2021, we placed an order with another distributer for 10K parts.  The first order was scheduled to be received at the end of April 2022.  No parts were received.  The distributer checked with NXP and found out they were delayed.  We may get them in another year.  The distributer that has the 10K order from last November said we may get 1.5K this November.

Apparently, orders are being taken, but parts are not being manufactured.  Checking with the distributers, we are the only customer ordering this part in quantities.

We are currently getting parts from scalpers selling them at triple the price, but that is drying up.

My question is, should we be switching to a different part?  Any that are currently in stock show lead times of over a year which could put us in the same position when stock dries up.

Should we be looking at a different manufacturer?  I am seeing more stock, but same lead times.

What are other users doing?

Thanks for any response.

7 Replies

CherryDeng
Contributor I

I think S9KEAZN32AMLC could be backup, they are pin to pin, and software is compatible. You can search datasheet as below.

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-microcontrollers/kea-automotive-mcu...

0 Kudos

dporada
Contributor III

No stock.  Lead time 52 weeks.

0 Kudos

dporada
Contributor III

By the way, our last quote was $34.62 each.

0 Kudos

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

Hacker News discusses the issue with the KL27 and the overall industry problem.

What frustrates me is the NXP here says:

"Get your information from your distributor."

The distributor is only passing on the information that they are getting from NXP.
I can no longer trust what my distributor is telling me. 
Their answer changes with every contact.
The last answer was '2024'.
By 2024 the world will be a very different place and it won't matter.

"We are a technical form here and won't discuss such issues; we are how-to use."

I can appreciate that the many technical people that have recently appeared  (for a very long time here there were only a couple of NXP people and most of the help was between users) have no more insight into NXP's delivery chain than you or I.  However knowing how to use a part that is impossible to get, is simply a waste of everyone's time and energy.  Nothing else matters if you can't get it.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31264672

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

"Has anybody had trouble getting parts? "

It is an industry wide problem and has been for awhile now.

" The first order was scheduled to be received at the end of April 2022.  No parts were received.  The distributer checked with NXP and found out they were delayed."

Arrow moved our order out to 2024.

"My question is, should we be switching to a different part? "

I would myself if I could.  From all visible aspects the Kinetics line is dead.
NXP is directing people to the iMX.RT line as a replacement.
Doesn't seem practical for low end parts.
LPCs are in no better shape for delivery.

"Should we be looking at a different manufacturer?"

I am.  Alas as I said it is an industry wide problem.
Moving someplace else may only be a short time fix.

The are shortages of bare wafers.
There are shortages of chips to make the chip making machines.
No one builds new old fabs that Industry needs.
They only build for fancy 2 nm stuff that brings in high profits.
The list goes on...

""What are other users doing?"

Praying mostly.  Not really much else we can do.

0 Kudos

dporada
Contributor III

Thanks Bob.

Arrow was the supplier that we ordered 10K from.  I'm seeing Infineon chips in stock right now, but I have never used them.

I found LPC11U35FHI33/501 chips in stock, but again, what happens when stock is depleted.  We also haven't used that package before.

0 Kudos

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

We have a real dislike for QFN packages here.

All our stuff is battery powered and we have found that it is very hard to get a proper cleaning of the solder paste under QFNs.

After a while, could be measured in months, the leakage currents start to rise, as the paste gather impurities.   Ever notice how modern electronics tends to fail faster than older stuff, from say the 1980's?  This cleaning issue and tin whisker growth because of lead-free solder are the primary reasons. Also if the paste is not deactivated with enough heat, it will remain reactive and eat the leads.  Don't see that one often.

When we have the option we always chose a package with visible leads.