cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis KL43Z ROM bootloader

Jump to solution
piotrcerba
Contributor III

Hello, in document http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN4997.pdf

on page 3 there is a sentence: "The KL43/KL33/KL27/KL17 MCUs also include ROM memory with Kinetis bootloader implemented."

1. If the KBOOT is already implemented in the board - how can I use/modify it?

2. Does it require any software on PC side for program updates?

3. Will using it somehow delete the OpenSDA bootloader which I currently use?

4. Is the ROM memory built-in the microcontroller or is it a separate circuit on the board?

5. Will I be able to see the board as USB drive with KBOOT?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Piotr Cerba,

1. KBOOT's code can be fetched from the following link, you may adjust it according to your custom board.

Kinetis Bootloader|Freescale

2. Yes, it does, it needs a PC application named as blhost, please refer to http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/KBLHOSTUG.pdf

for more details.

3. No, there is no conflict between them. Either of them loads application code into the internal flash of Kinetis device, the main difference is OpenSDA needs an external device like K20 to help with the downloading, KBOOT just embedded in the device, but needs a PC application to help with the downloading. Please also note don't use them to load application in the same time.

4. Yes, The ROM is built in the device.

5. No, the KBOOT use USB HID device instead of MSD drive.

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

Freescale Technical Support
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Piotr Cerba,

1. KBOOT's code can be fetched from the following link, you may adjust it according to your custom board.

Kinetis Bootloader|Freescale

2. Yes, it does, it needs a PC application named as blhost, please refer to http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/KBLHOSTUG.pdf

for more details.

3. No, there is no conflict between them. Either of them loads application code into the internal flash of Kinetis device, the main difference is OpenSDA needs an external device like K20 to help with the downloading, KBOOT just embedded in the device, but needs a PC application to help with the downloading. Please also note don't use them to load application in the same time.

4. Yes, The ROM is built in the device.

5. No, the KBOOT use USB HID device instead of MSD drive.

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
piotrcerba
Contributor III

Yes, your post helped me a lot.

With KBOOT - will I be able to produce a log with data gathered during board operation that can be downloaded to a PC?

0 Kudos
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Piotr Cerba,

Do you mean you want to have some information regarding the device and the file downloaded into that device? I think you may use blhost with commands as get-property and read-memory <addr> <byte_count> [<file>]. Please refer to http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/KBLHOSTUG.pdf for more details.

Have a great day,
Kan

0 Kudos
piotrcerba
Contributor III

Thank you again :smileyhappy:

Yes, what I meant was that I will gather some readings from ADC to microcontroller's memory and when connected to PC the bootloader will create a log file that can be downloaded to the PC.

Another question:

1. Can I somewhow modify the Kinetis Bootloader so that blhost application will not be needed and the device will show up as a removable drive (MSD device)?

2. In the .pdf "Kinetis Bootloader v1.2.0 Reference Manual" in chapter 10 I see that:

"

In the downloaded package, locate the folder with the header files. The folder is named

after the MCU (for example, “MK64F12”) and contains a unique header file for each

peripheral in addition to regs.h and system_<device>.h files. Copy the entire folder into

the /src/include/device folder of the bootloader tree.

"

However, in /src/include/device there is already a folder named MKL43Z4. Where should I look for these required files?

What is more, these files:

"

clock_config_<old_device>.c —> clock_config_<new_device>.c

• hardware_init_<old_device>.c —> hardware_init _<new_device>.c

• memory_map_<old_device>.c —> memory_map _<new_device>.c

• peripherals_<old_device>.c —> peripherals _<new_device>.c

• startup_<old_device>.c —> startup _<new_device>.c"

are nowhere to be found. Where can I get the versions for my board?

0 Kudos