Kinetis K65 Running code from external SDRAM / Flash

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis K65 Running code from external SDRAM / Flash

olli_mannisto
Contributor II

I've been looking at using K65 for a project we have. The software people are not happy with the amount of RAM/NVRAM available so one way or another I have to expand it. 

Is it actually possible to run code from SDRAM and/or Flash? And if it is, is the external memory controller smart enough to at least combine two word reads for long instruction into a single read operation instead of doing the whole thing from Activate to Precharge for each word? 

In ideal world the K65 would do prefetch and caching i.e. Flash chip initial access may be 90ns but then you can read the rest of the bank at 15ns/pop. This is even more pressing matter for SDRAM which is very burst-oriented technology.

I guess Kinetis doesn't do that sofisticated memory management thought. i.MX 7 would.. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Sorry for the later reply.

Customer can run the code from external SDRAM or Flash memory device.

K65 with the cache to access the external SDRAM or Flash memory device, which will enhance the code execute performance.

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------