cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K66 USB regulator

gpontis
Contributor IV

Hi All,

I'm doing a new hardware design with the K66, and it is to use high speed USB1 peripheral in device mode only. There is no requirement for bus or battery power. My question concerns the USB regulator. My preference would be to not use the USB reg at all and instead power the USB peripherals from the board's efficient 3.3V supply. Furthermore, from a layout standpoint it would be nice to not have to provide the 2.2uF cap on VREG_OUT.

If this regulator is not needed, but USB is required, would it be acceptable to simply tie all of VREG_IN0, VREG_IN1, and VREG_OUT to VDD ?

George

5 Replies

jasondaughenbau
Contributor I

George, 

What did you end up doing here?  I have the same question as you - and Isaac didn't really answer it.  

Isaac is right that the the USB phy is powered by VREG_OUT.  But the datasheet indicates that VREG_OUT can operate the phy down to 3.0V, and dropout is < 300mV, so it should be ok to power the linear input (VREG_IN) via 3.3V instead of 5V, so I disagree with Isaac on that detail. Actually another spot in the datasheet indicates that for VREG_INx: "Operation range is 2.7 V to 5.5 V; tolerance voltage is up to 6 V"

It would seem a step better to do what you suggested, tie VREG_IN0, VREG_IN1, and VREG_OUT to +3.3V, not using the regulator at all, and eliminate a capacitor requirement.  

Did you try this?  I might try it... But I would like a "real" answer from NXP.

Thanks!
Jason

gpontis
Contributor IV

Hi Jason,

Sorry that I am just now seeing this note. I ended up not trying my idea so as not take any risk. However, I think that it is likely to work and might pursue it if I had some motivation.

Geo.

0 Kudos

matthew_trowbri
Contributor I

Hi Jason, I have the same question since I'm using the USB DM/DP pins but don't need the USB regulator. I know I'm asking a question of your question, but did you ever find an answer yourself on this?

0 Kudos

isaacavila
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello George,

I omitted one thing, this consideration applies only when USB is not being used, in your case, although USB will be configured to work as Device, you need to use internal USB Regulator.

Indeed USB HS uses the internal USB PHY and during PHY initialization, it requires that VREGIN0 and VREGIN1 are connected to 5V input.

VREGOUT output is used to power USB-FS and USB-HS modules so you need to use this USB regulator.

Hope this helps! And sorry for the confusion!

Regards,

Isaac

0 Kudos

isaacavila
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello George,

When USB Reg is not being used, it is recommended that VREG_OUT si connected to VREG_IN and both should be tied to GND by a 10 k resistor. This will prevent to increase current consumption on these pins.

Chapter 53 (USB Voltage Regulator) talks more about this.

USB reg connection.jpg

Hope this helps!

regards,

Isaac

0 Kudos