K64 SDHC interface with emmc device

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K64 SDHC interface with emmc device

JHinkle
Senior Contributor I

The K64's SDHC states that it is compliant with MMC System Specification 4.2/4.3

I am looking into interfacing the K64's SDHC with a emmc device meeting specification 5.1.

I would like to use the 8 bit data interface.

I have not been able to find any information as to interfacing a 5.1 device with a 4.3 version controller.

Can this be done? 

What are the pro/cons associated with an "old" SDHC controller mating with the latest emmc devices.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Joe

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Joe,

First of all, sorry for the later reply.

Could you check the eMMC card manufacturer specifications to see if the card is backwards compatible with previous versions?

Thanks for the attention.

Have a great day,
Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

JHinkle
Senior Contributor I

Hi Mike:

Trying to get an App Engineer from Western Digital to answer a question is impossible.

I found an NXP i.MX6 mcu that had a similar question asked and the post stated that the SDK driver needed to be changed but it could be used (the NXP mcu supported 4.4 when the K64 supports specifications 4.2/4.3)

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-332187

I was hoping to get some assurance that the K64 will perform properly before I go to the effort and expense of turning a new board to test it.

I do not believe there will be an issue of sector read or write. 

I was hoping the K64 supported the "trim" and "Bad Sector Management" capabilities associated with the emmc device. 

Do you know if that is possible?

Thanks.

Joe

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Joe,

I don't find K64 SDHC module support "trim" and "Bad Sector Management" capabilities.

I think K64 couldn't support those features.

best regards,

Mike

0 Kudos