Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JTAG/SWD connector for Kinetis

Jump to solution
b51427
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I am designing a PCB for Kinetis K22 and have some confusion in SWD connector pin configuration.

There are two different configurations available, one is SWD connector in FRDM-K22F schematic (TDI and TDO pins are not used).

pastedImage_0.png

The other configuration is available in user manual of PE Micro U-Multilink (TDI and TDO pins are used).

pastedImage_1.png

I would like to know about the difference in these two configurations (how is it possible to program microcontroller without TDI and TDO pins)?

I intend to use PE Micro U-Multilink programmer for programming my custom board MCU, which of the two pin configuration should I use?

Regards,

Saad

Labels (1)
1 Solution
EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hello Saad,

This MCU supports SWD and JTAG debug interfaces. SWD needs only DIO and CLK lines while JTAG needs TMC, TCK, TDO, TDI and RESET lines.

I recommend you to take a look into this document from ARM where the differences between SWD and JTAG are explained.

Regards,

Earl.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hello Saad,

This MCU supports SWD and JTAG debug interfaces. SWD needs only DIO and CLK lines while JTAG needs TMC, TCK, TDO, TDI and RESET lines.

I recommend you to take a look into this document from ARM where the differences between SWD and JTAG are explained.

Regards,

Earl.