How to program KL-MCUs by P&E usb multilink universal?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to program KL-MCUs by P&E usb multilink universal?

Jump to solution
w_x
Contributor II

Hi All:

I have one Usb Multilink Universal programmer which version is V1. There is no SWD support information on user's guide.

But I found that P&E have announced Usb Multilink Universal supporting for Kinetis L series MCUs.

How can I use my own Usb Multilink Universal to program KL-MCUs? Need to update the firmware of programmer?

Pls see the attached files.

THX!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

old.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

new.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

P&E Universal Multilink does an update automatically as needed at the time of connect. Reasons for an update are

- updated (newer version) of the firmware available (e.g. you have V1 on the Multilink, but your debugger has >V1 available)

- switching Processor (e.g. from a ColdFire to a Kinetis): in that case a different firmware is needed on the Multilink, and it is downloaded to the Multilink automatically

Additionally P&E has a utility on their website to inspect the firmware version and to upgrade/downgrade the firmware.

Hope this clarifies it,

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
marceli1
Contributor III

The most common mistake is wrong wiring to match pins between Multilink and PCB board. Therefore Reset pin is always low!

0 Kudos
JimDon
Senior Contributor III

It does support SWD, I am using to program and debug the Freedom board, but I did have to solder in a .05" header.

Refer to a schematic of  similar Freescale reference board to see  to how to connect it on your prototype board.

0 Kudos
w_x
Contributor II

Thanks, Jim.

Mostly what I care about is if there is need to update the firmware of Usb Multilink Universal?

It will be good news if we can use it without any change.

0 Kudos
JimDon
Senior Contributor III

Well, if the firmware need to be updated, CW will do that the first time you connect. You will get a dialog say it is updating the firmware.

I think it did.

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

P&E Universal Multilink does an update automatically as needed at the time of connect. Reasons for an update are

- updated (newer version) of the firmware available (e.g. you have V1 on the Multilink, but your debugger has >V1 available)

- switching Processor (e.g. from a ColdFire to a Kinetis): in that case a different firmware is needed on the Multilink, and it is downloaded to the Multilink automatically

Additionally P&E has a utility on their website to inspect the firmware version and to upgrade/downgrade the firmware.

Hope this clarifies it,

Erich

0 Kudos