cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with TWR-KV58F220M

Jump to solution
michaelellis
Contributor II

I have a TWR-KV58F220M board on loan from a distributor and am trying to get it up and running.  The board has been out to at least one previous customer.

I have downloaded the Quick Start Package and am attempting to follow the instructions in the Quick Start Guide.  So far I have done the following:

Downloaded and installed the Kinetis Design Studio 3.2.0

Downloaded and installed the MBED drivers

Downloaded and installed the SDK 2.0 for the TWR-KV58F220M

Verified the default jumper settings on the eval board

When I connect a USB cable between my PC and the eval board I see the MBED drive appear, and I see a new COM port appear.

Two LEDs are lit on the eval board - D5 (green, near SW4) and D8 (yellow, near reset switch).

I have found the pre-compiled images in the Quick Start Package and when I copy one of the images to the MBED drive I see the green LED flash for a few seconds.  The USB connection then drops and reconnects and the two LEDs are once again lit, but I never see the board do anything else.  I have tried the bubble_level_ftm, hellow_world and blinky_KV58 images.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
michaelellis
Contributor II

Late in the day yesterday I found that the default jumper setting for J29 is wrong.  The quick start guide says to install the jumper for J29 but this disables the 50 MHz oscillator.  Once I removed the jumper the board began working.

Thanks for your help,

Michael

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kerry,

I have used that board with an external P&E and Segger probe, see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2016/06/24/first-steps-arm-cortex-m7-and-freertos-on-nxp-twr-kv58f220m/ .

So if you have one of these probes, that might be something to get the board up and running. Note the jumper settings mentioned in the article.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Michael,

It seems your MBED bootloader is broken.

Please try to download the MBED firmware again.

1. download the quick start package from this link:

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=TWR-KV58F220M-QSP&location=null&fpsp=1&WT_TYPE=Board%20S... 

2. MBED firmware k20dx128_twr_kv58f_if_mbed_0x8000.bin can be found in folder: TWR-KV58F220M-QSP\TWR-KV58F220M_Quick Start Package\OpenSDA Application\CMSIS-DAP (Default Image)

3. Download the MBED firmware

1) power off your board

2) press the RESET button and hold on it, at the same time power on the board

You will find your board is a device named as "BOOTLOADER", then release the RESET button

3) Send file k20dx128_twr_kv58f_if_mbed_0x8000.bin to your "BOOTLOADER", and wait the sending finished.

4) power off the board and power on again

You will find your board is a device named as "MBED"

At this time, the MBED firmware is downloaded successfully, then try to send the Precompiled Examples to the MBED again.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question, please contact me!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
michaelellis
Contributor II

Late in the day yesterday I found that the default jumper setting for J29 is wrong.  The quick start guide says to install the jumper for J29 but this disables the 50 MHz oscillator.  Once I removed the jumper the board began working.

Thanks for your help,

Michael

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your information updated.

The TWR-KV58F220MUG.pdf really have the problem.

In chapter 6. Jumper options:

Crystal Oscillator(VDD) should be J28, not J29.

Crystal Oscillator(Enable) should be J29, not J28.

I will report this doc problem to the according department.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos