Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlashLoader on Kinetis MK02, Incorrect Peripherals, Error in Reference Manual

Jump to solution
Miner
Contributor II

Hello,

I am laying out a board using the MK02FN128VLH10.  During testing, I want to load my application by using the pre-programmed Kinetis FlashLoader that should be present on the chip. 

As I was digging through the documentation, I came across an error in the reference manual, listing the incorrect peripherals for this chip.

K02F Sub-Family Reference Manual

Supports: MK02FN128VLH10, MK02FN128VLF10, MK02FN128VFM10, MK02FN64VLH10, MK02FN64VLF10, MK02FN64VFM10

Document Number: K02P64M100SFARM    Rev. 1, 7/2014

http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/ref_manual/K02P64M100SFARM.pdf

On page 239, table 13-1 lists the “Kinetis Flashloader Peripheral Pinmux”

FlashLoader Table.jpg

PTE0/PTE1 for the UART1 TX/RX looks fine. 

However, this chip family does not have I2C1 nor SPI1.

And the Port C & D pins listed in the table on page 239 don’t have the corresponding I2C or SPI hardware.

Pinout table.jpg

(This pinout image  was cut from the table starting on page 178 of the same manual.)

Does anyone know which pins are enabled for SPI and I2C, in the FlashLoader pre-programmed in the factory? 

Thanks,
Andy

Labels (1)
1 Solution
carlos_chavez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Andy,

As you previously mentioned the Reference Manual is incorrect and we are actively working towards updating that with our Technical Documentation Team.  Many apologies.  The correct pinout should be as follows:

Port        Signal

PTC3        UART1_TX

PTC4        UART1_RX

PTB0        I2C0_SCL

PTB1        I2C0_SDA

PTE16      SPI_PCS0

PTE17      SPI_SCK

PTE18      SPI_SOUT

PTE19      SPI_SIN

Please make your design based on the above pinout.  The signals highlighted in bold are the only signals that will be available at this time as we have also have an errata against the MCU.  The new errata that we will be publishing in the next week or so is listed below.

Errata Description:

The UART and I2C peripherals are not supported by the Kinetis Flashloader based on the following table:

Port          Signal
PTC3        UART1_TX
PTC4        UART1_RX
PTB0        I2C0_SCL
PTB1        I2C0_SDA
PTE16      SPI_PCS0
PTE17      SPI_SCK
PTE18      SPI_SOUT
PTE19      SPI_SIN

However, the SPI peripheral is not impacted and is supported.
Errata Workaround:
For support of the UART and I2C peripherals, obtain MK material marked with date codes of XXXX1445 or greater.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Again, our apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Best Regards,

Carlos

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
carlos_chavez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Andy,

As you previously mentioned the Reference Manual is incorrect and we are actively working towards updating that with our Technical Documentation Team.  Many apologies.  The correct pinout should be as follows:

Port        Signal

PTC3        UART1_TX

PTC4        UART1_RX

PTB0        I2C0_SCL

PTB1        I2C0_SDA

PTE16      SPI_PCS0

PTE17      SPI_SCK

PTE18      SPI_SOUT

PTE19      SPI_SIN

Please make your design based on the above pinout.  The signals highlighted in bold are the only signals that will be available at this time as we have also have an errata against the MCU.  The new errata that we will be publishing in the next week or so is listed below.

Errata Description:

The UART and I2C peripherals are not supported by the Kinetis Flashloader based on the following table:

Port          Signal
PTC3        UART1_TX
PTC4        UART1_RX
PTB0        I2C0_SCL
PTB1        I2C0_SDA
PTE16      SPI_PCS0
PTE17      SPI_SCK
PTE18      SPI_SOUT
PTE19      SPI_SIN

However, the SPI peripheral is not impacted and is supported.
Errata Workaround:
For support of the UART and I2C peripherals, obtain MK material marked with date codes of XXXX1445 or greater.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Again, our apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Best Regards,

Carlos

0 Kudos
Miner
Contributor II

Thanks for the response, Carlos.

This is exactly what I needed to know, and I can still swap pins around on the schematic, so it is not a big deal.

Take care,

Andy