cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-KW36 - unable to debug

adrian_chmiel
Contributor III

Hi,

I would like to start working with FRDM-KW36, but unfortunately I got stuck at the beginning ...

When I click "Debug" button, MCUExpressois showing me an error like in attachment.

I use version v11.1.1_3241, I checked firewall, I tried to remove *.launch in project workspace but still without success.

I reflash OpenSDA according to the link:

OpenSDA Serial and Debug Adapter | NXP 

But it doesn;t work still.

In err2.png (in attachment) you can see the error from the console in MCUExpresso.

0 Kudos
7 Replies

nxf63973
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Adrian

Could you please check this link down below?

Fix for GDB and “The system tried to join a drive to a directory on a joined drive” | MCU on Eclipse 

If you need more information, please let me know.

Jose

0 Kudos

adrian_chmiel
Contributor III

I know this link, but unfortunately it looks different for me and there is no this checkpoint to mark.

err.PNG

err2.PNG

I think is a GDB issue

err.PNG

I have installed python 2.7 with included python path in system enviroment. (python 3.x is not installed)

There is also a Python path in the project preferences.

Manual connection via GDB works, the problem only occurs in MCUXpresso.

err3.PNG

And in this way I found a bugg, JLink server is not started by MCUXpresso in debug mode.
When SEGGER J-Link GDB Server is running manually as a separate program, then debugging is works fine in MCUXpresso.

err.PNG

Could you check and verify it in the next release of MCUXpresso?

0 Kudos

nxf63973
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Adrian

I'm glad to hear that you found the issue and that you can work on your project. Thank so much for your feedback, it's very important for us.

If you have more problems in the future, please let me know.

Jose

0 Kudos

nxf63973
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Adrian

Could you please try the following steps?:

1. Connect your FRDM-KW36 to your personal computer.
  2. Open the app J-Link Commander V6.62d                                                                                                      pastedImage_5.png
  3. Make sure the connection with the J-Link was successful. You should be able to see the next message in the command line to confirm the connection.                                                                                                           pastedImage_4.png
  4. Use the command connect.
  5. The console will request to specify the device. Type ? in the console and press enter.
  6. The window  Target device settings will open. Select the device, in this case MKW36Z512xxx4. Make sure to pick the option that hasn't the message (allow security).

pastedImage_1.png

7. The console will request to specify the target interface. Type S in the console and press enter to select SWD.
  8. The console will request to specify the target interface speed. Press enter to use the default speed.
  9. If the app identifies the core of the board, the console will display:                                                              pastedImage_3.png
  10. Use the command unlock kinetis. You should be able to see a message confirming the unlock of the device.pastedImage_2.png

If you have any problem with  this process, or if you need more information, please let me know.

Jose

adrian_chmiel
Contributor III

Now is better, but....

MCUxpresso can detect the board via J-Link, I can erase memory, program new software, but debugging doesn't work.

When I try debug:

err3.PNG

0 Kudos

nxf63973
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Adrian

Could you please check if you have the latest OpenSDA version (v2.2) in your board?

If you don't, could you please try downloading and programming it to your board? You can find it in this link. Please, follow the instructions in the page. Also, could you please make sure that your drivers are updated? The links for the Segger and CMSIS-DAP drivers are in the page.

If you have any problem with  this process, or if you need more information, please let me know.

Jose

0 Kudos

adrian_chmiel
Contributor III

If I understand correctly, I can choose whether to upload Segger or DAPLink?

When DAPLink 2.2V is programed:

err.PNG

err3.PNG

Drivers are installed

err2.PNG

And the red LED on the board lights up

FRDM-KW36_Dev_Board_Top.jpg

When Seger is programed (last wersion form 2019-06-03 and driver 6.72c), then I can read and program board.

err2.PNG

But when I click Debug (blue one)

err3.PNG

Drivers are installed

err.PNG

The red LED on the board is no longer lit.

Of course I can develop program like that, but without a debugger it is completely uncomfortable...

0 Kudos