Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Availability of OpenSDA standard or Example programs

Jump to solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear All,

Does anyone know if there has then been any progress is releasing information about coding for the OpenSDA available in the 'Freedom' evaluation boards?

In particular any of the following would be useful:

• OpenSDA standard - A specification of the file format for the .SDA files used and how the information is loaded into the OpenSDA device.  Note - this is about the K20 device loaded with the OpenSDA not using the bootloader for the connected target.
  • Example projects.

I have been unable to find either of the above but it is possible I'm looking in the wrong places :smileysad:.

Previous posting about this have indicated that the above would be soon available but it has been quite a while and AFAIK they are not available yet.

Looking at the P&E site only has OpenSDA applications.

The material on the ARM website only applies to CMSIS debugger interface and does not appear to cover actual OpenSDA loader.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (2)
1 Solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Pedro,

Yes there have been a couple of other posting indicating that this is the situation.  This is unfortunate and compares poorly with similar ideas from other manufacturers e.g.STMicro.

Could I suggest that Freescale change the name of the application as it is in no way "Open".

• Source is not available
  • Official specification of interface is not available.
  • Provided implementations are secured and mass erase disabled.

Not much 'Open' in that list :smileyhappy:

Freescale should also update their documentation which is quite misleading on this aspect.  From the OpenSDA USer Guide:

"OpenSDA is an open-standard serial and debug adapter."  I'm unsure what this is meant to mean in light of your posting.

The web page also refers to:

"Open-source data logging application provides an example for customer, partner and enthusiast development on the OpenSDA circuit"

I have not been able to find this and it seems incompatible with your information.

However there has been some information posted that may allows others to use the implementations provided on the Freedom boards.

Basic OpenSDA Project

It is also possible to use alternative (open source) debugger interfaces with the Freedom boards.

Re: Replaced Freedom KL25 - now OpenSDA doesn't work

bye

View solution in original post

5 Replies
calvinji
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi pgo,

Sorry about that. Thanks a lot for your efforts on OpenSDA and more related observations are hoped in the future.

Best Regards!

0 Kudos
hmyoong
Contributor III

See development of OpenSDA v2 in GitHub - mbedmicro/DAPLink 

0 Kudos
apanecatl
Senior Contributor II

I'm afraid sins the OpenSDA application was developed by P&E Micro and therefore their intellectual property, only they can provide information related to that subject.

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Pedro,

Yes there have been a couple of other posting indicating that this is the situation.  This is unfortunate and compares poorly with similar ideas from other manufacturers e.g.STMicro.

Could I suggest that Freescale change the name of the application as it is in no way "Open".

• Source is not available
  • Official specification of interface is not available.
  • Provided implementations are secured and mass erase disabled.

Not much 'Open' in that list :smileyhappy:

Freescale should also update their documentation which is quite misleading on this aspect.  From the OpenSDA USer Guide:

"OpenSDA is an open-standard serial and debug adapter."  I'm unsure what this is meant to mean in light of your posting.

The web page also refers to:

"Open-source data logging application provides an example for customer, partner and enthusiast development on the OpenSDA circuit"

I have not been able to find this and it seems incompatible with your information.

However there has been some information posted that may allows others to use the implementations provided on the Freedom boards.

Basic OpenSDA Project

It is also possible to use alternative (open source) debugger interfaces with the Freedom boards.

Re: Replaced Freedom KL25 - now OpenSDA doesn't work

bye

Monica
Senior Contributor III

pgo, thanks for the observations, we'll be analyzing that over.

Regards!

0 Kudos