cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sprintf with KDS 3.2.0

almarto
Contributor IV

Dear all,

I get the following linker error (Cross ARM C++ Linker)  : undefined reference to `_sbrk'

when I try to compile some code like this:

char mystring[10];

int mynumber=5;

sprintf(mystring,"%d",mynumber);

however, if I just format the sprintf without addional parameters, like this:

sprintf(mystring,"This is mystring");

it works! Could you please give me any hint?

Thank you very much in advance.

BR!

P.D. I use KE06Z microcontroller.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
4 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alvaro,

that depends on

a) Kinetis SDK used or not

b) which library you are using

c) if you are using semihosting or not

sbrk() is a library routine used for dynamic memory allocation.

https://mcuoneclipse.com/2016/08/06/semihosting-again-with-nxp-kinetis-sdk-v2-0/ 

I hope this helps,

Erich

almarto
Contributor IV

Hi Erich,

Thank you very much for your fast answer!

I started my project with one of your templates for my microcontroller, the one in this link:

mcuoneclipse/Examples/KDS/FRDM-KE06Z/FRDM-KE06Z at master · ErichStyger/mcuoneclipse · GitHub 

So that I have tried to recompile the original projects (directly yours) by adding only the following:

#include <stdio.h>

char test[100];

sprintf(test,"number=%d",5);

to the main function and it crashes with the same error:

"

Invoking: Cross ARM C++ Linker
arm-none-eabi-g++ -mcpu=cortex-m0plus -mthumb -O0 -fmessage-length=0 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections  -g3 -T "C:/IoT/KDS/WS_KE06Z/20160810_KE06Z/Project_Settings/Linker_Files/ProcessorExpert.ld" -Xlinker --gc-sections -L"C:/IoT/KDS/WS_KE06Z/20160810_KE06Z/Project_Settings/Linker_Files" -Wl,-Map,"20160810_KE06Z.map" --specs=nano.specs -o "20160810_KE06Z.elf"  ./Static_Code/System/CPU_Init.o ./Static_Code/System/Peripherals_Init.o ./Static_Code/System/Vectors.o  ./Sources/Events.o ./Sources/main.o  ./Project_Settings/Startup_Code/startup.o  ./Generated_Code/BitIoLdd1.o ./Generated_Code/BitIoLdd2.o ./Generated_Code/BitIoLdd3.o ./Generated_Code/BitIoLdd4.o ./Generated_Code/BitIoLdd5.o ./Generated_Code/Cpu.o ./Generated_Code/FRTOS1.o ./Generated_Code/KIN1.o ./Generated_Code/KSDK1.o ./Generated_Code/LEDB.o ./Generated_Code/LEDG.o ./Generated_Code/LEDR.o ./Generated_Code/LEDpin1.o ./Generated_Code/LEDpin2.o ./Generated_Code/LEDpin3.o ./Generated_Code/PE_LDD.o ./Generated_Code/PTD2.o ./Generated_Code/PTF1.o ./Generated_Code/Pins1.o ./Generated_Code/TU1.o ./Generated_Code/UTIL1.o ./Generated_Code/WAIT1.o ./Generated_Code/croutine.o ./Generated_Code/event_groups.o ./Generated_Code/heap_1.o ./Generated_Code/heap_2.o ./Generated_Code/heap_3.o ./Generated_Code/heap_4.o ./Generated_Code/heap_5.o ./Generated_Code/list.o ./Generated_Code/port.o ./Generated_Code/queue.o ./Generated_Code/tasks.o ./Generated_Code/timers.o   
c:/freescale/kds_v3/toolchain/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.4/../../../../arm-none-eabi/lib/armv6-m\libg_s.a(lib_a-sbrkr.o): In function `_sbrk_r':
sbrkr.c:(.text._sbrk_r+0xc): undefined reference to `_sbrk'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
makefile:60: recipe for target '20160810_KE06Z.elf' failed
make: *** [20160810_KE06Z.elf] Error 1

"

The most strange thing to me is that if I don't format the content of sprintf, it links correctly and works! This means that testing the following code has no linker errors:

#include <stdio.h>

char test[100];

sprintf(test,"number=5");

Any idea? I am absolutely lost and don't know how to go on.

Thank you very much for your collaboration.

BR!

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alvaro,

I tried both your code pieces in that project, and they work without any issues on my side.

So I don't know what is the problem on your end.

Maybe add the missing function as

void _sbrk(void){}

to your application to see what comes next.

Erich

0 Kudos

almarto
Contributor IV

Hi Erich,,

Your solution works! I just added void _sbrk(void){}.

Thank you very much for your collaboration!

BR!

0 Kudos