cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KDS 3.0.0 debug level problem

Jump to solution
jimbrady
Contributor I

I recently had a problem with KDS 3.0.0 where the debug level I set in the Debug Level drop-down control for example "Default (-g)", did not get put in the makefile and my .elf executable contained no debug information.  In other words, even though I wanted debug information included in the executable, it was not.  So of course gdb complained that it could not find source code and other things.  When I added "-g" to the  "Other debugging flags" box, then -g was included in the makefile and the .elf file became much larger as expected, and debug was fine.

Has anyone seen this ? and any ideas how this could happen ?

This problem only happened on a CodeWarrior 10.6 processor expert project I had migrated to KDS 3.0.0.  On a new project created in KDS this problem did not occur.  Am using KDS 3.0.0 on Windows 7. The debug setting I am talking about is in C/C++ Build -> Settings -> Debugging screen.

Thanks for the help,

Jim

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jim,

ok, I'm able to reproduce the problem. Indeed, if you have 'none' set in the CW project, somehow the debug level options in KDS project settings are ignored. Seems to be a problem of the CW project converter. I have created a ticket about this.

Thanks for reporting,

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jim,

I have not seen something like this so far, as well not with my converted projects.

So you say it was showing "Default (-g)" in the project options panel, but somehow not used, right?

Maybe there is an inconsitency between what the panel show, and what is actually in the options (in the project file).

Do you know what debug information/option you had in your CodeWarrior project?

Thanks,

Erich

0 Kudos
jimbrady
Contributor I

Erich ---

I checked the CW 10.6 project before migrating to KDS 3.0.  Debug level was set to "None".

Yes, I am saying that even though the Debug Level drop-down box says "Default (-g)"  the "-g" is not put in the generated makefile, does not show up in the console messages when building the code, produces a very small executable.elf file, gdb complains there are no debug symbols, can't find source, etc. Putting "-g" into the  "Other debugging flags" box fixes this.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jim,

ok, I'm able to reproduce the problem. Indeed, if you have 'none' set in the CW project, somehow the debug level options in KDS project settings are ignored. Seems to be a problem of the CW project converter. I have created a ticket about this.

Thanks for reporting,

Erich

0 Kudos
jimbrady
Contributor I

Erich ---

Thanks for figuring this out.

Jim

0 Kudos