Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install and make USBDM programmer work in KDS 3.2

Jump to solution
MAPC
Senior Contributor I

Hello, pgo

I just bought a programmer running your USBDM from Luciano in Brazil.

Could you please explain me how to install USBDM plugin to make KDS 3.2 recognize USBDM programmer? I have carefully followed your video in USBDM with Kinetis Design Studio and Kinetis SDK - YouTube and just changed the paths to KDS 3.2 and KSDK 2.1 paths.

I'm struggling to make it work, but it has been a difficult task.

I also tried in KDS 3.0.0 and pointing to KSDK 1.3. I have all of them installed on my computer. But it fails with all the alternatives.

I need to visit a customer on Wednesday next week and I'd like to have everything working on my computer for a training.

Could you lend me a helping hand please?

The version I have installed here is the latest one: 4.12.1.110

Thanks and best regards,

Marco Coelho

Applications Engineer

Siletec Eletronica

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Marco,

I have only just come across this thread.

The above error is caused by a invalid or missing setup file that then upsets the dialogues you are using.

The error only occurs is a certain sequence is followed but once it occurs it is persistent.

Please try the version just uploaded which has a fix for this : USBDM_4_12_1_120_Win.msi

You should probably also delete the %APPDATA%/usbdm folder which contains the invalid setup.

Alternatively I believe the error may also be fixed by opening the USBDM->Configure menu and visiting all the config pages (expand the menu at the left).  Ignore any error messages.  Once a valid config is created the error no longer occurs.

pastedImage_4.png

bye

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Marco,

I have only just come across this thread.

The above error is caused by a invalid or missing setup file that then upsets the dialogues you are using.

The error only occurs is a certain sequence is followed but once it occurs it is persistent.

Please try the version just uploaded which has a fix for this : USBDM_4_12_1_120_Win.msi

You should probably also delete the %APPDATA%/usbdm folder which contains the invalid setup.

Alternatively I believe the error may also be fixed by opening the USBDM->Configure menu and visiting all the config pages (expand the menu at the left).  Ignore any error messages.  Once a valid config is created the error no longer occurs.

pastedImage_4.png

bye

0 Kudos
MAPC
Senior Contributor I

Dear pgo,

Yes! I followed your alternative tip: opening the USBDM->Configure menu and visiting all the config pages (expand the menu at the left).  Ignore any error messages.

Now everything is working. I could never know this would be the cause of this issue.

Thank you very much!

Marco Coelho

Applications Engineer

Siletec Eletronica

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Marco,

Your welcome.

I'm sorry for the original bug that caused you  considerable frustration.

bye

0 Kudos
micheljssimon
Contributor I

Hi Pgo,

Can you please help me to do the same thing but on S32DS instead? I coudn´t install the USBDM plugin and I´m using S32DS ARM 2018 R1. The target MCU is an SKEAZN64.

0 Kudos
MAPC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Alice,

I just tried to load your MKL25Z code on my FRDM-KL25Z, but keeps on failing. Now everything is blank in Debug Configurations:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Marco,

I test your attached project , it also can work well :

pastedImage_0.png

So it not the reason of project.

Which system do you used ?  Please uninstall your USBDM software , then install the latest version :

USBDM - Browse /Version 4.12.1/Software at SourceForge.net

pastedImage_1.png

Pay attention that,  when you install it , select the right path of KDS, you'd batter take  a screenshot about it.

If still can not used ,  please install the KDS again , and install the latest version of KDS V3.2 .

Hope it helps

Alice

0 Kudos
MAPC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Alice,

I spent all the morning, uninstalling and reinstalling KDS, KSDK and USBDM drivers and software package.

The same errors reported above remain.

If I try to create a new project through USBDM menu, I get this error:

pastedImage_0.png

Java is up-to-date in my computer.

pastedImage_1.png

My USBDM configuration (with KSDK MK64FN1M0xxx12 v2) looks like this:

pastedImage_2.png

I give it up!

Marco Coelho

Applications Engineer

Siletec Eletronica

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Oh Marco,

Maybe the reason is Win10 , i use  WIN 7 64 bit .

Ok, if it so tedious , i also agree you use the other debugger .

BR

Alice

0 Kudos
MAPC
Senior Contributor I

I have already installed and reinstalled latest USBDM drivers and software several times (including rebooting Windows (10) after removing and reinstalling the package).

I don't understand. USBDM is the only tool not working. Multilink Universal, for example, always works. It is hard for me to uninstall KDS and KSDK and reinstall all this again. It takes a lot of time and I need the IDE to provide support to my customers. I don't have available time for that.

I'm sincerely considering not using USBDM and not recommending this tool to our customers anymore.

Thanks,

Marco Coelho

Applications Engineer

Siletec Eletronica

0 Kudos
MAPC
Senior Contributor I

As I hit Refresh Button in Debug Configuration, it shows the following error:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
MAPC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Alice,

Please have attached my code. This code was originally created in KDS (KDS Project Creator) for FRDM-K64F (P&E Open-SDA) with KDSK v2. I didn't create a new project through USBDM menu.

I'm trying to program my FRDM-K64F through USBDM programmer, but it fails. As I showed in my previous message, the selection field relative to "Build Tool" doesn't show anything. Is is in blank. Maybe you can reproduce the same error on your side.

Thanks!

Marco Coelho

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello ,

Could you tell me what about the error on your side , or in which step it crash on your side .

Maybe there is something wrong on the configuration of KDS, there is a detail configuration

about use USBDM on KDS :

USBDM: Eclipse - USBDM Features 

And also which board do you used ? There is a demo about FRDM-kl25 board :

USBDM: Setting Up the FRDM-KL25Z

Hope it helps

Alice

0 Kudos
MAPC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Alice Yang,

Thanks for fast response.

I think my configurations are correct. See bellow my USBDM and Debug Configurations in KDS 3.2:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

One point that called my attention is that "Build Tool" selection field in "Debug Configurations" is in blank.

As I try to program the MCU and go to Debugger, I get this error:

pastedImage_2.png

Marco Coelho

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Marco,

I test one project(without KSDK) on my side , it can work well .

First , please be sure you have in stall the USBDM Ddiver (not the USBDM software )?

USBDM - Browse /Version 4.12.1/Drivers at SourceForge.net

pastedImage_1.png

Second ,  when you create project, have you select the Build tools :

pastedImage_2.png

The attachment is the project i test on FRDM-KL25, you can test it on you side .

The debugger configuration on my side is like this :

pastedImage_0.png

If your board is not FRDM-KL25, please also first create one simple project to have a try .

Hope it helps

Alice

0 Kudos
MAPC
Senior Contributor I

The driver version I installed on my computer is 4.12.1 and software versionn is 4.12.1.30, as I said previously.

0 Kudos
MAPC
Senior Contributor I

Hi, Dear Alice

But I won't create another project. I want to use USBDM programmer in a project that was previously created with another tool and select it in Debug Configurations, but I can't.

Marco Coelho

0 Kudos