Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recorder to catch initial data only

Jump to solution
FabrizioDaRos
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm using the recorder feature to chart variables. The function "FMSTR_Recorder" is called periodically inside my time-base generator interrupt.

I would like to configure FreeMASTER so that all watched variables linked to that recorder are stored inside the buffer upon startup (from reset -> go). When the buffer get filled it should stop.

FreeMASTER has to download all data, show it and hold.

I'm interested to see the evolution of my variables just after the "big-bang" (from reset).

Is that already possible, if yes, how please?

I'm communicating via LPUART on MKE15Z256 device, if it matters.

Thanks

Fabrizio

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Dear Fabrizio,

unfortunately, the recorder needs first to be configured by the FreeMASTER tool before it can record any data. It must first go through FMSTR_Init and then through communication before the first data sample can be taken. I think this is too late if you want to capture early post-reset states.

The FreeMASTER 3.1.2 which is going to be released later this month is going to support graphical "Array Viewers" which could be used in your use case. The Array Viewers will behave quite similarly to the Recorder, but instead of capturing timewise evolution of scalar variables, it will read whole data arrays from the embedded application, regardless of how the array has been created. So you should be able to do your own "recording" of data values into a RAM arrays and then view them graphically in FreeMASTER. You can record the data any time, even short after reset and then wait for FreeMASTER to connect and download the values.

Stay tuned for the 3.1.2 version announcement on this forum.

Best regards,
Michal

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Dear Fabrizio,

unfortunately, the recorder needs first to be configured by the FreeMASTER tool before it can record any data. It must first go through FMSTR_Init and then through communication before the first data sample can be taken. I think this is too late if you want to capture early post-reset states.

The FreeMASTER 3.1.2 which is going to be released later this month is going to support graphical "Array Viewers" which could be used in your use case. The Array Viewers will behave quite similarly to the Recorder, but instead of capturing timewise evolution of scalar variables, it will read whole data arrays from the embedded application, regardless of how the array has been created. So you should be able to do your own "recording" of data values into a RAM arrays and then view them graphically in FreeMASTER. You can record the data any time, even short after reset and then wait for FreeMASTER to connect and download the values.

Stay tuned for the 3.1.2 version announcement on this forum.

Best regards,
Michal

0 Kudos
FabrizioDaRos
Contributor I

Thank you Michal! I realized later what you have clearly explained.

I tried the Pipes feature to log the variable and download data with FreeMASTER. Of course I was able to see all values as expected. I was wondering, why not attach charts to pipes?

Another option I was scouting is to use a pre-instructed Recorder to catch all data, so that, later on when the tool attach to the target I can retrieve logged data since beginning. Is it feasible? 

Bye

Fabrizio

0 Kudos
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Dear Fabrizio,

yes both of your ideas are on our "radar" already. The API for the MCU application to configure Recorder variables by itself is even already in a prototype phase. So far the FreeMASTER PC tool is too much "master"-oriented, it is not yet ready to read and accept a Recorder configuration which it did not create.

Connecting pipes to charts is something we definitely want to do in one of the future versions.

Thanks,
Michal

0 Kudos