Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPCXpresso845max onboard serial line

Jump to solution
nxa28181
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I have new LPCXpresso845Max board and I have issue with onboard debugger serial line.

I installed Mbed Serial driver from Mbed website and set FMSTR  for debug transmit by
#define FMSTR_DEBUG_TX 1

and in Serial console I see some debug string on connected port COM3:

pastedImage_2.png

But, in FMSTR I see two ports:
1. Without number, but with correct "description" :

pastedImage_1.png

2. With correct number, but without description:

pastedImage_3.png

But even though serial console works with Debugstring, FMSTR connection not appear ( I tried COM and COM3)

Can you help me with this issue?

Thanks,

Tags (1)
1 Solution
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Miroslav,

there are two issues mentioned in your question:

• FreeMASTER showing un-numbered COM port which apparently does not work.
  • FreeMASTER not working with the 845max board even when using the regular port (COM3 in your case).

The first issue is a FreeMASTER bug which will be fixed in the next version. The un-numbered COM is not valid and should not be in the list.

The second issue is however a problem of the 845max board. The factory-default CMSIS-DAP firmware v1.0.5 has a problem with serial line emulation and needs to be updated to version 1.0.7 or later. The update procedure is described in section 3.1 of the board's User Manual (available here). The new board's firmware package contains the fixed firmware.bin file also an updated Windows driver which needs to be installed too.

It is easy to verify the version of the connected board firmware. In Windows go to "Bluetooth & other devices" and look for LPC11U3x CMSIS-DAP device. It should be v1.0.7.

pastedImage_1.png

After updating the firmware, the FreeMASTER UART demo should work as expected. Only be sure you enable the interrupt-driven processing in the freemaster_cfg.h file (by setting FMSTR_SHORT_INTR to 1) to make sure the processor is able to catch all characters even at higher communication rates like 115200 bps.

Thank you,

Michal

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichalH
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

Hello Miroslav,

there are two issues mentioned in your question:

• FreeMASTER showing un-numbered COM port which apparently does not work.
  • FreeMASTER not working with the 845max board even when using the regular port (COM3 in your case).

The first issue is a FreeMASTER bug which will be fixed in the next version. The un-numbered COM is not valid and should not be in the list.

The second issue is however a problem of the 845max board. The factory-default CMSIS-DAP firmware v1.0.5 has a problem with serial line emulation and needs to be updated to version 1.0.7 or later. The update procedure is described in section 3.1 of the board's User Manual (available here). The new board's firmware package contains the fixed firmware.bin file also an updated Windows driver which needs to be installed too.

It is easy to verify the version of the connected board firmware. In Windows go to "Bluetooth & other devices" and look for LPC11U3x CMSIS-DAP device. It should be v1.0.7.

pastedImage_1.png

After updating the firmware, the FreeMASTER UART demo should work as expected. Only be sure you enable the interrupt-driven processing in the freemaster_cfg.h file (by setting FMSTR_SHORT_INTR to 1) to make sure the processor is able to catch all characters even at higher communication rates like 115200 bps.

Thank you,

Michal