How do I program the flash on DSP56F807 using a command line program?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I program the flash on DSP56F807 using a command line program?

Jump to solution
stu_m
Contributor II

How do I program the flash on DSP56F807 from the command line? In years past we used flash_over_Jtag.exe and your PC parallel port app note but parallel ports are difficult to find these days. We just purchased the USB TAP product and tried using fflash.exe to program the device however this did not work. I realize that we can program and debug the device using CodeWarrior but that solution is really only useful for our development engineers. We need to build a batch file and setup a programming station for someone who is not an engineer trained to use CodeWarrior. Please advise.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
stu_m
Contributor II

I understand DSP56F807 is an older part but no one from the distributors, Freescale, or NXP has indicated it is end of life! I just checked your website and do not see any EOL notice whatsoever. Can you please confirm?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Stuart

56800E Flash Programmer only works for 56800E, and it doesn't not support 56800 products.

To program DSP56F807, please use CodeWarrior, or flash_over_jtag.

flash_over_jtag does not support USBTAP.

Classic CodeWarrior v8.3 supports both USBTAP and parallel, but can only program with ELF file.

Best Regards

Fiona Kuang

Technical Information & Commercial Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
stu_m
Contributor II

Thank you. So are you saying there is no way to program DSP56F807 in a production environment unless we use a computer with a parallel port?

0 Kudos
TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Stuart

The only tool we can supply that supports programming 56F807 with USBTAP is CodeWarrior.

If you reversed SCI interface on board, one solution is to program bootloader into DSP56F807, and use bootloader to update firmware in flash via SCI interface. Though most laptops have no COM port either, but USB to serial converter is very common.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards

Fiona Kuang

0 Kudos
stu_m
Contributor II

We’ve already written an SCI bootloader. The problem is we do not have a method to program the bootloader into the flash during production!!!

I am disappointed that no one has yet created a command-line flash programming tool for USBTAP as was done with the old parallel programmer over a decade ago. Can you please open the API that CodeWarrior uses so that one of your customers can create this essential tool?

0 Kudos
TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Stuart

We have 56800E Flash Programmer and DSC Flasher which supports USBTAP or USB Multilink for 56800E/56800EX family, but we have no such tools for 56800 because they are too old and already end of life.

Best Regards

Fiona Kuang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
stu_m
Contributor II

I understand DSP56F807 is an older part but no one from the distributors, Freescale, or NXP has indicated it is end of life! I just checked your website and do not see any EOL notice whatsoever. Can you please confirm?

0 Kudos