cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating s19 file. Target: DSC MC56F8345

davidearosio
Contributor I

Hi everybody,

Is there a way to create an s19 file from a Codewarrior project? I need this file to program a lot of microcontrollers with the USB Multilink Universal FX programmer. I control this programmer with its command line options. I am using Codewarrior v.8.3 and the target is a DSC microcontroller (MC56F8345). I have also other versions of Codewarrior, so I would be pleased if somebody can suggest me if I am using the correct version of CW. In addition, if it is possible to create the s19 file, would it be possible to read the procedure step by step? Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

johnlwinters
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please see the attachement for the steps, numbered one to four for turning on s-record output.

It is disabled by default, but is simple to enable.

I suggest sorting by address and using 16 bit mode, rather than 8 bit mode if you are using our tools.

Other tools may or may not need 8 bit mode.

0 Kudos

gustavocosta
Contributor III

Hi there,

I'm having the same problem as my colleague above.

I'm trying to generate a .S19 file for my project on codewarrior v8.3, but as you sugested I've checked the option "generate s-record file" and nothing happened. There's no .S19 file at the output folder.

Could you have any thoughts to give about this.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos

TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Gustavo

The generated S-record file is usually saved in \bin or \output subfolder under the project directory.

The linker will generate three different S-Record files:

'<targetname>.elf.p.S' -- contains data and code to be stored in program memory locations

'<targetname>.elf.x.S' -- contains data and code to be stored in data memory locations

'<targetname>.elf.S' -- combination of the two previous files

Please use '<targetname>.elf.S' for flash programming.

Best Regards

Fiona Kuang

Technical Information & Commercial Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

gustavocosta
Contributor III

Thank you for your answer.

My problem here is that I need to converter my '<targetname>.elf.S' into a '<targetname>.S19' bin file so I'm abble to use a PEMicro program (PROGDSC) along with the Multilink Universal.

Since my project is already done under codewarrior v8.3 there's no way I could use codewarrior v10.6 to recreat this project.

So is there a way I could use Multilink Universal with a project built on codewarrior v8.3? Or another solution?

Thank you!

0 Kudos

TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Gustavo

<targetname>.elf.S is S-record file generated by CodeWarrior, it is in S37 format.  Could you please ask P&E whether his tool only supports S19 format?   Our CodeWarrior for DSC can only generate S37 format.

I think the webpage below should be helpful to you for understand the difference between S19 and S37.

http://www.sbprojects.com/knowledge/fileformats/motorola.htm

If you only need to program the target with a S-record file, you can use the flash programmer which is included in Eclipse CodeWarrior v10.6.4. You can use it inside CW IDE, or as a standalone tool.

To program with a S-record file, you may create a Target Task for flash programmer, or use the 'Flash File to Target' feature.

For details, please view the section <Debugger->Flash Programmer> in FAQ Guide:

C:\Freescale\CW MCU v10.6.4\MCU\Help\PDF\Microcontrollers_FAQ_Guide.pdf

To use it as a standalone tool, please see below for how to do it:

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/08/02/standalone-flash-programmer/

Here is CodeWarrior Flash Programming from a DOS Shell

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/08/03/codewarrior-flash-programming-from-a-dos-shell/

Hope this helps!

Best Regards

Fiona Kuang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

davidearosio
Contributor I

Thank you for you advices!

Now I have another problem.

I try to program the MC56F8345 target with the USB Multilink Universal FX programmer, but a pop-up error appears.

The message is the following: "Cannot enter background mode. Check connections".

The programmer wants me to turn-off the micro and to turn it on, but the result is always the same.

The programmer gives power to the microcontroller: I can choose between 5V or 3V3. I give 3V3.

What is the problem?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos

TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Davide

CodeWarrior v8.3 does not support USB Multilink Universal FX. It only supports parallel connection, USBTAP, and OSBDM.

If you only have USB Multilink Universal FX, please choose Eclipse CodeWarrior for MCU, which can be downloaded from:

http://tinyurl.com/6jo5tge

Hope this helps!

Best Regards

Fiona Kuang

0 Kudos