linux startup problem on 548x (custom board)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linux startup problem on 548x (custom board)

SridharS
Contributor I
Hi,

I have got linux-2.6.10 up & running on fire engine eval board (MCF5485) using the LTIB and BSP package provided by freescale . However when I run the same on a custom board , I get a trap at the point where it jumps to _running_high code after initializing the MMU in head.S . Any suggestions on where the problem could be ?

The only difference between the two setups is that in the latter , I use a BDM to single step and see where the problem is. I use colilo as the bootloader and I am able to the UART0 prints from colilo on my custom board, so I assume there is no problem there. The only change that I had to do in colilo is to change the RAM initilialization and change the clock frequency from 100mhz to 80mhz.

Also is there some tips/documentation available for changes needed to get linux up on a custom board running MCF54xx?

Thanks in advance,
Sridhar
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

JWW
Contributor V
Sridhar,

I'm not an expert on porting linux. But one common mistake is in the SDRAM init when moving from a Freescale board to a custom board. Sometimes it seems like the SDRAM is working, but when you enable cache and MMU you'll sometimes see problems arise. Try doing some DMA memory tests with a simple bootloader program or a codewarrior application to make sure your SDRAM init is robust.

-JWW
0 Kudos