Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using M52259DEMOKIT???

Jump to solution
RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm desperate for a bit of info from a working M52259DEMOKIT/CW7.1 connection.

My problem is described here: 

http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=CWCFCOMM&thread.id=2676

Basically, since installing some other versions of CW, I believe, I can no longer talk from my PC to the OSBDM on the DEMOKIT.  The DEMOKIT presents a VID/PID that does not exist in any inf file of the system:

USB\VID_15A2&PID_0035\5&7BEA176&0&1

And I am wondering if I have a HW issue or a SW issue...

If someone has a working M52259DEMOKIT, could you tell me what the "Device Instance Id" for its USB device (Possibly listed under LibUSB -> Turbo BDL Light?) is?  You can find it on the device Properties -> Details page.

Then, for extra credit , if you could tell me which inf file in c:/windows/inf matches this, than maybe I can get my system restored to the earlier state where the OSBDM (mostly) worked.

Thank you for any clues!!!

-- Rich

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II

Well, I figured it out...  There was no magic reprogramming of a BDM going on (well, there was, but it was most likely a different BDM -- I believe only the P&E's support a firmware upgrade procedure thru CW).

If you find that your BDM spontaneously changes VID/PID and is no longer recognized by Windows, check to see if you accidentally installed J5 on the DEMOKIT board (connected to IRQ/TPMCLK).  Apparently both personalities are built into the same firmware, and that jumper causes a switch -- you want the jumper removed.

Sorry for the noise.  I figured I'd at least post the resolution in case anyone else ever has the issue.

-- Rich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
cutworth
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

The Vendor and Product ID is programmed in firmware.

I can give you the OSBDM firmware for JM60 and its associated PC driver. Please give your mail address to me. 

0 Kudos
RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II

Thank you!

I am interested in going back to VID/PID 0425/1001 (how the new BDMs ship, and what matches my installed INF files).

Can you also tell me how I might prevent this from happening again?

rich@testardi.com

0 Kudos
RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II

Well, I figured it out...  There was no magic reprogramming of a BDM going on (well, there was, but it was most likely a different BDM -- I believe only the P&E's support a firmware upgrade procedure thru CW).

If you find that your BDM spontaneously changes VID/PID and is no longer recognized by Windows, check to see if you accidentally installed J5 on the DEMOKIT board (connected to IRQ/TPMCLK).  Apparently both personalities are built into the same firmware, and that jumper causes a switch -- you want the jumper removed.

Sorry for the noise.  I figured I'd at least post the resolution in case anyone else ever has the issue.

-- Rich

0 Kudos
cutworth
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Yes, you are right. You normally should not install J5 jumper. This jumper is connected to IRQ pin on S08JM60 for choosing bootloader mode or normal mode. If it is low on POR, JM60 enters bootloader mode which is used to upgrade firmware with support from the JM60 PC GUI tool, you can download the tool from here:

So you see you have two alternatives to update OSBDM firmware:
1) use J4 with a P&E multilink
2) install J5, enter bootloader mode and use JM60 PC GUI tool
0 Kudos
bkohan
Contributor II

I have a M52259DEMO with VID/PID 0425/1001.  I now have a MCF52259 "Kitchen" for the new "Tower" eval system.  It's JM60 has a VID/PID of 15A2/0042.  It uses a different OSBDM driver.  I had problems installing it on computers if an external USB Hub was connected to the PC.  The Hub has to be not connected for the JM60 to be recognized and for the driver to install correctly.

Can I update the "Kitchen" JM60 with the newer OSBDM firmware?  Can this firmware be downloaded?

Thanks,

B.K.

0 Kudos
DaveG_
Contributor I
Thanks Rich. I'm sure your experience and posts will help others when it happens to them.
0 Kudos
RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II

I ordered another M52259DEMOKIT and it works fine and does *not* return VID/PID 15A2/0035 -- it returns 0425/1001.

So now I would like to know how did my BDM VID/PID get reprogrammed?

I do remember CodeWarrior 4.7 telling me it had to update BDM firmware, but I assumed it was updating the one on the HCS12, not the one on the 52259 -- it didn't even give me a chance to object!!! :smileysad:

Now I would like to know how to restore my old M52259DEMOKIT to working order.

Please can anyone tell me:

1. why some software (presumably CW4.7) reprogrammed my M52259DEMOKIT BDM, and how to prevent it from happening again in the future, and
2. how to fix my old M52259DEMOKIT and restore its BDM to VID/PID 0425/1001, like my new one.

Thanks.

-- Rich

0 Kudos
DaveG_
Contributor I

Hi,

I have USB\VID_0425&PID_1001\5&354F8037&0&1 for a Device Instance ID.

The .INF file was renamed to oem52.inf on my system. So that probably won't help you :smileywink:

Dave G.

0 Kudos
RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II

Thanks!

VID_0425&PID_1001 makes total sense!  I had an oem file that would have processed that, too.

It is as if someone (CW 4.7, hiwave?) reprogrammed the BDM on the M52259DEMO board to return the wrong VID/PID!!!

I don't suppose anyone would know how to fix that?  I ordered another board assuming this might turn into a hardware issue, but I hate to think how quickly I can turn the new one into a brick...

-- Rich

0 Kudos