treasure
Contributor I

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Lundin
Senior Contributor IV
Yeah it is exactly the same thing. Semiconductor manufacturers name things differently, mainly because of old stubborn arrogance. Motorola/Freescale likely named it SCI because they wouldn't give credit to the name UART, which is heavily asociated with National Semi. Similarly, you will often find Freescale's competition call SPI for "serial synchronous something", as they won't give Motorola credit for inventing it.
0 Kudos

Fast
Contributor IV

Well Eric Hackett at TI said about LIN bus "Serial Communication Principles
The previously-mentioned SCI is the dominant interface used between LIN transceivers and the
microcontrollers that communicate with them. UART was used originally, but fault-free interface via UART
is known to be difficult to achieve." Is that just about detecting Sync Break? HW that got added to early SCI implimentations to specifically aid LIN support. Oh and IR transmission support with short pulses, probably continues to to types with no A in UART that use a clock and start to feel like SPI.

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hello,

As far as Freescale 8 bit goes, an SCI (Serial Communications Interface) includes a UART (and not much else). So essentially they are one and the same.

0 Kudos

thetopnxp
Contributor I

Thank you! ) I used different semiconductor-based components to create a device for generating high-quality images. Now I realize that I could have saved a lot of money on components. But I will know for the future ))

0 Kudos