i.MX 8/8X Family DDR Tools Release

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ratings

Important: If you have any questions or would like to report any issues with the DDR tools or supporting documents please create a support ticket in the i.MX community. Please note that any private messages or direct emails are not monitored and will not receive a response.

i.MX 8/8X DDR Tools Overview

This page contains the latest releases for the i.MX 8/8X DDR Tools. The tools described on this page cover the following i.MX 8/8X Family SoCs with the System Controller Unit (SCU):

• i.MX 8QuadMax and its derivatives i.MX 8QuadPlus
  • i.MX 8QuadXPlus and its derivatives i.MX 8DualXPlus and i.MX 8DualX 
  • i.MX 8DXL (i.MX 8XLite) and its derivatives i.MX 8SXL 

NOTE: For the i.MX 8M Family of DDR tools please refer to the : i.MX 8M Family DDR Tool Release 

The purpose of the i.MX 8/8X DDR Tools is to enable users to generate and test a custom DRAM initialization based on their device configuration (density, number of chip selects, etc.) and board layout (data bus bit swizzling, etc.).  This process equips the user to then proceed with the bring-up of a boot loader and an OS.  Once the OS is brought up, it is recommended to run an OS-based memory test (like Linux memtester) to further verify and test the DDR memory interface.  

The i.MX 8/8X DDR Tools consist of:

• DDR Register Programming Aid (RPA)
  • DDR Stress test

For more details regarding these DDR tools and their usage, refer to the MX8X_DDR_Tools_quickstart_guide.pdf attached to this page.

i.MX 8/8X DDR Register Programming Aid (RPA)

The i.MX 8/8X DDR RPA (or simply RPA) is an Excel spreadsheet tool used to develop DDR initialization for a user’s specific DDR configuration (DDR device type, density, etc.). The RPA generates the DDR initialization in two formats (in separate Excel worksheet tabs):

• DDR Stress Test script: This format is used specifically with the DDR stress test by first copying the contents in this worksheet tab and then pasting it to a text file, naming the document with the “.ds” file extension. The user will select this file when executing the DDR stress test.
  • DCD CFG file: This format is the configuration file used specifically by the SCU Firmware (SCFW). In this scenario, the user copies the contents in this worksheet tab and pastes it to a text file, naming the document with the “.cfg” file extension and placing this file in the appropriate SCFW board file directory.

i.MX 8/8X DDR Register Programming Aid (RPA): Current Versions

Note: In all cases, the RPA revision is aligned to a minimum SCFW version as shown in the table below. In some cases, the BSP alignment is provided as extra detail, however, the RPA tool is specifically aligned to a minimum SCFW version and later.

To obtain the latest RPAs, please refer to the following links (note, existing RPAs have been removed from this main page and moved to the SoC specific links below):

i.MX8QM:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX8QM-DDR-Register-Programming-Aid-RPA...

i.MX8QXP/QXP/DX:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX8QXP-DXP-DX-DDR-Register-Programming...

i.MX8DXL/SXL:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX8DXL-DDR-Register-Programming-Aid-RP...

Processor Mask Revisions Memory Supported Latest RPA Version * Notes
i.MX 8QM B0 LPDDR4

Rev 23***

Rev 22**

Rev 21**

Rev 20**

Rev 19**

Rev 23: IMPORTANT: this is aligned to SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions). When using SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions), you must use this version or later RPA and cannot use earlier versions of the RPA. See note at end of table.

Rev22: The following changes have no effect on the DDR IO interface. This updated setting basically adds a define in the DCD file for the total DDR density configured by the RPA. This defined is used by the SCFW. 

Rev 21: Fixed 1 DRC operation to comment out calls to VREF training to DRC1 and added DDRC_SCHED register programming to align with latest SCFW programming (refer to RPA revision history for more details).

Rev 20: use with SCFW 1.4.0 and NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_2_0_0 later (to support SW VREF training work around command)

Rev 19: use with SCFW 1.3.1 and NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_1_0_0

i.MX 8QXP C0, B0 LPDDR4

Rev 16***

Rev 15**

Rev 14**

Rev 13**

Rev 16: IMPORTANT: this is aligned to SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions). When using SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions), you must use this version or later RPA and cannot use earlier versions of the RPA. See note at end of table.

Rev 15: The following changes have no effect on the DDR IO interface. This updated setting basically adds a define in the DCD file for the total DDR density configured by the RPA. This defined is used by the SCFW. 

Rev 14: use with SCFW 1.4.0 and NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_2_0_0 later (to support SW VREF training work around command)

Rev 13: use with SCFW 1.3.1 and NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_1_0_0

i.MX 8QXP C0, B0 DDR3L

Rev 23

Rev 22***

Rev 21

Rev 20

Rev 23: 

-Corrected Register Configuration DDR_PHY_PTR4.tDINIT1 bit field programming. Previously, the calculation was based on tRFC only, however, the calculation should have been based on "tRFC+10ns". This was corrected.
-Set DDRC_INIT4, DDR3 MR2.ASR=1 as the default setting to allow for the DRAM to select the self refresh rate automatically based on its case temperature (but user has the option to disable via pull-down menu). Also, removed conditional setting for DTCR0.DTRDBITR as it is not needed since DDR3 does not support DBI. Default setting of this was zero and will remain that way.
-Provided option to user to select auto refresh rate based on the intended max temperature of the DDR3L device (1X, 2X, 4X). User should confirm with the DDR3L data sheet for supported temperature ranges and associated refresh rate.

Rev 22: IMPORTANT: this is aligned to SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions). When using SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions), you must use this version or later RPA and cannot use earlier versions of the RPA. See note at end of table.

Rev 21: The following changes have no effect on the DDR IO interface. This updated setting basically adds a define in the DCD file for the total DDR density configured by the RPA. This defined is used by the SCFW.

-Compatible with SCFW 1.1.10 and later

-Changes made to this revision do not affect the DCD CFG file output based on v19

-Issue discovered in the DDR stress test script, wherein certain commands were not being properly configured based on the ECC setting in the Register Configuration worksheet; this was resolved (cells A84, A87, A90, A93 )

-In addition, in both DCD CFG and DDR stress test script worksheets, all commands that depend on ECC config have been updated to include an "OR" with whether or not the data bus is configured for 16-bit (ECC is only supported for full 32-bit data bus width configurations)

i.MX 8DualX C0, B0 LPDDR4

Rev 16***

Rev 15*

Rev 14**

Rev 13**

Rev 16: IMPORTANT: this is aligned to SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions). When using SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions), you must use this version or later RPA and cannot use earlier versions of the RPA. See note at end of table.

Rev 15: The following changes have no effect on the DDR IO interface. This updated setting basically adds a define in the DCD file for the total DDR density configured by the RPA. This defined is used by the SCFW. 

Rev 14: use with SCFW 1.4.0 and NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_2_0_0 later (to support SW VREF training work around command)

Rev 13: use with SCFW 1.3.1 and NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_1_0_0

i.MX 8DualX C0, B0 DDR3L

Rev 21

Rev 20***

Rev 19

Rev 18

Rev 21:

-Corrected Register Configuration DDR_PHY_PTR4.tDINIT1 bit field programming. Previously, the calculation was based on tRFC only, however, the calculation should have been based on "tRFC+10ns". This was corrected.
-Set DDRC_INIT4, DDR3 MR2.ASR=1 as the default setting to allow for the DRAM to select the self refresh rate automatically based on its case temperature (but user has the option to disable via pull-down menu). Also, removed conditional setting for DTCR0.DTRDBITR as it is not needed since DDR3 does not support DBI. Default setting of this was zero and will remain that way.
-Provided option to user to select auto refresh rate based on the intended max temperature of the DDR3L device (1X, 2X, 4X). User should confirm with the DDR3L data sheet for supported temperature ranges and associated refresh rate.

Rev 20: IMPORTANT: this is aligned to SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions). When using SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions), you must use this version or later RPA and cannot use earlier versions of the RPA. See note at end of table.

Rev 19: The following changes have no effect on the DDR IO interface. This updated setting basically adds a define in the DCD file for the total DDR density configured by the RPA. This defined is used by the SCFW. 

-Compatible with SCFW 1.1.10 and later

* For a history of the previous versions of an RPA, refer to the Revision History tab of the respective RPA. 

** In general, it is recommended to use the latest RPA tool even with a pre-released BSP as it ensures you are testing with the latest fixes and features. Older versions of the RPA may be provided to support existing/released versions of the BSP.  This only applies to those RPA tools that are compatible with pre-release BSPs but may not be compatible with released versions of the BSP.  

***IMPORTANT: as stated in the table above, for the noted RPA version, it is aligned to SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions).  Older versions of the RPA are not aligned to SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions).  If trying to use an older version of an RPA with SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions), it will cause the SCFW not to boot.  The offending lines in the DCD output are as follows:

For MX8QXP/DualX:

DATA 4 0xff190000 0x00000CC8 /* DRC0 bringup */

For MX8QM:

DATA 4 0xff148000 0x00000885 /* DRC0 bringup */
DATA 4 0xff1a0000 0x00000885 /* DRC1 bringup */

If the user wishes to use an older RPA with SCFW 1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions) (not recommended), then the above lines must be removed from older RPA DCD file outputs.  In addition, wrapping these lines are "#ifndef SCFW_DCD", "#else", and "#endif" preprocessor commands.  These should be removed as well.  For example of MX8QXP:

[remove] ifndef SCFW_DCD
[remove] /* For 1200MHz DDR, DRC 600MHz operation */
[remove] DATA 4 0xff190000 0x00000CC8 /* DRC0 bringup */
[remove] #else
<keep code as is>
[remove] #endif

Note: when it is stated "SCFWv1.7.0 (and later SCFW versions)", it implies SCFWv1.7.0, 1.7.1, 1.7.2... 1.8.0, 1.9.0, 1.10.0... etc., where "..." are minor versions/patches, so when you see 1.7.2... it implies 1.7.3, 1.7.4, etc.).  Unless otherwise noted, the latest RPA shown in the table above is aligned to the latest SCFW release.   

i.MX 8/8X DDR Stress Test 

The i.MX 8/8X DDR stress test tool is a Windows-based software tool that is used as a mechanism to verify that the DDR initialization is operational prior to building the SCFW for use with u-boot and OS bring-up. The DDR stress test uses the .ds DDR stress test script generated from the RPA tool along with a special build of the SCFW, built with option:

DDR_CON=ddr_stress_test_parser

Or in the case of i.MX 8QuadMax use of one DDR Controller:

DDR_CON=ddr_stress_test_parser_DRC0_only

The DDR stress test offers a Target option to dictate which SoC is under test. The following are Target options to select from:

MX8QM – used to test i.MX 8QuadMax and its derivatives i.MX 8QuadPlus
MX8QX – used to test i.MX 8QuadXPlus and its derivatives i.MX 8DualXPlus/DualX

MX8DXL – used to test i.MX 8DXL and its derivatives i.MX8 SXL

To install the DDR Stress Test, save and extract the zip file mx8_ddr_stress_test_ERxx_installation.zip   (where 'xx' is the current version number) and follow the on-screen installation instructions.

Note, when extracting the DDR Stress Test tool .zip file, it is recommended to perform an "Extract here" operation.  Some systems do not allow for the extracted installation executable to run from another folder and will only work when being executed from the same location as the original, downloaded zip file. 

For more details on the DDR stress test usage, refer to the MX8_DDR_Tool_User_Guide found in the DDR Stress Test tool delivery.

NOTE: Before using the DDR tools on a new custom board, the user should properly port the SCU Firmware (SCFW) to this new board. The DDR tools will not be able to run without a properly ported and working SCFW.

i.MX 8/8X DDR Stress Test Requirements

• The tool requires access to the Windows registry, hence users must run it in administrator mode.
  • The tool cannot run on an OEM closed device that requires images signed by the customer
  • When users design new i.MX 8/8X boards, please make sure to follow the rules outlined in the respective Hardware Developers Guide and the MX8_DDR_Tool_User_Guide, which can help users bring up DDR devices on their respective i.MX 8/8X boards.

i.MX 8/8X DDR Stress Test SECO Firmware

It is generally not recommended to update the SECO (ahab) firmware that comes default with the DDR Stress Test. This is not recommended because the purpose of the DDR Stress Test is to test the DDR memory interface, not the entire SCFW to SECO firmware operation even though a newer version of the SCFW may complain that the SECO firmware version is not the latest. The SECO firmware version that comes with the DDR Stress Test has been tested and proven to work by the factory before the DDR Stress Test release; updating the SECO firmware to a different version may result in unintended consequences rendering the DDR stress test inoperable. In most cases, it is allowable to update only the SCFW without updating the SECO firmware.
Should the user wish to update the SECO firmware version in the DDR Stress Test, then they will need to rename this firmware without the silicon version (for example, if updating the MX8QM SECO firmware, the user will need to rename mx8qmb0-ahab-container.img to mx8qm-ahab-container.img, basically remove the “b0”). The exception is for the MX8QXP, if updating the C0 silicon version SECO firmware, then the user should maintain the C0 nomenclature.
If the user finds that the updated SECO firmware causes the DDR Stress Test to become inoperable, then it is recommended to revert to the default SECO firmware version that came with the DDR Stress Test release.

i.MX 8/8X DDR Stress Test User Guide

The i.MX 8/8X DDR Stress Test tool includes the document: MX8_DDR_Tool_User_Guide.pdf

NOTE: Please read the MX8_DDR_Tool_User_Guide inside the package carefully before you use this tool.

DDR Stress Test Revision History

Rev Major Changes (Features) NXP BSP Software Version
ER 14 Updated to support parsing of the VREF training command in the DDR Stress Test script This version is aligned with NXP BSP GA version L5.4.3_2_0_0 and later.
ER15 - Support for i.MX 8Lite (aka DXL)
- Provides more verbose output in event of data training failures, specifically on which byte lanes failed
- Aids in debug of board layout issues
This version is aligned with NXP BSP GA version Linux 5.15.71_2.2.0 and later.

Related Resources Links:

FAQs:

Q. When the DDR stress test is running, it indicates testing region 1 and then region 2. What is region 1 and region 2?
A. There are two distinct DDR memory regions in the i.MX8X series which is due to the architecture of Cortex A core and the associated memory map of the i.MX8X.
Region 1 is the 32-bit region, starting at 0x080000000 and ending at 0x0FFFFFFFF (2GB total)
Region 2 is the 64-bit region (for the Cortex A core architecture), starting at 0x880000000 and ends at the remaining density:

• For 4GB total on board density, 2GB for region 1 and 2GB for region 2, so region 2 will end at 0x8FFFFFFFF (0x900000000 minus 1)
• For 6GB total (NXP board density), 2GB for region 1 and 4GB for region 2, so region 2 will end at 0x97FFFFFFF (0x980000000 minus 1)
• For 8GB total, 2GB for region 1 and 6GB for region 2, so region 2 will end at 0x9FFFFFFFF (0xA00000000 minus 1)

Hence there is a “hole” in the memory map between region 1 and region 2. As such, the DDR stress test first tests the lower region (region 1) until it is exhausted (up to 2GB), and if the DDR density exceeds 2GB, the test will test the remaining density in region 2.

Q. Do the i.MX8X series SoCs support LPDDR4 memories with 17 row addresses (R[16:0])?
A. The i.MX8QM, i.MX8QXP, and i.MX8DXP SoCs and their derivatives cannot support newer 17-row-address LPDDR4 memories. This means, in order to support the maximum 4GB (32Gb) LPDDR4 density, the configuration must be 16-row, 2 rank (as opposed to the unsupported 17-row, 1 rank). The upcoming i.MX8DXL is planned to support 17-row address LPDDR4 devices.

Q. I can select a different i.MX8X AP UART port when running the DDR Stress Test?
A. It is highly recommended to follow NXP board designs including selecting the same UART ports; this eases the user’s software porting efforts and minimizes issues with needless debugging. The DDR Stress Test requires the use of the USB OTG port and the AP UART port (and it is highly recommended to connect the SCFW UART port for SCFW debug messages). To date, the factory sees no reason why the user would need to select a different AP UART port than what is used on NXP boards. Selecting the same AP UART port ensures a faster bring up of the DDR stress test rather than needlessly debugging why a different UART port is not working.
In any event, some wish to use a different UART port for whatever reason, as such, NXP has placed work arounds to allow the selection of a different UART port. To select a different UART port (0,1, or 2), the user simply needs to add the following line to the end of the DDR Stress Test DDR initialization (.ds) script:

memory set  0x5C01042C 32   <UART port value>

memory set  0x5C01042C 32   0x00000000   # UART0 port selection for AP UART (default)

memory set  0x5C01042C 32   0x00000001   # UART1 port selection for AP UART

memory set  0x5C01042C 32   0x00000002   # UART2 port selection for AP UART

Note that UART ports 0, 1, and 2 have pad names that are default UART pins (IOMUX ALT0 config). To date, the DDR tools do not support other UART ports that are mux’d out on other non-default UART pins. However, there is an exception for i.MX8QXP/DXP and the upcoming i.MX8DXL where UART3 mux’d out on FLEXCAN2 can be used. To select this, add the following to the end of the .ds file:

memory set  0x5C01042C 32   0x00000003   # UART3 port selection for AP UART (exception for i.MX8QXP/DXP and i.MX8DXL)

Some RPAs do have support built in (via a pull down menu) to select the UART port. For those RPAs that do not have this feature, this is due to the fact that these RPA (NXP boards) were not tested with a different UART port as the board requires cutting traces and re-wiring the UART signals and some boards may not have these UART traces readily available. However, the user is still able to manually add this UART port selection. Refer to the following RPAs to see the UART port select option:
MX8QXP DDR3
MX8DXP DDR3

Q. Why does the DDR stress test appear to hang when testing [MX8QM with 8GB (64Gb) or MX8QXP with 4GB (32Gb)] of LPDDR4 memory?
A. The issue is not caused by the DDR stress test itself but by the version of the SCFW being used. The default version of the SCFW binary pre-dates a change made by the SCFW to ignore DRAM density limitations when it detects that the DDR stress test is running. This version of the SCFW associated with the DDR stress test ER14 limits the testable DRAM density to [MX8QM: 6GB, MX8QXP: 3GB], as this version of the SCFW is configured to operate on NXP boards as a basis. As noted in the DDR stress test user guide, it is recommended for users to port the latest SCFW to their board first before using the DDR stress test to account for board differences between NXP’s board and their board.  In addition, the user has the following options to enable testing beyond [MX8QM: 6GB, MX8QXP: 3GB]; note it is the responsibility of the user to ensure a properly working, ported version of the SCFW prior to operating the DDR stress test.

1. The latest SCFW should contain an update that sets no density limit if it is detected that the SCFW is built for usage with the DDR Tool - the user can try to get the latest porting kit and build the new firmware.  This is the recommended change.

2. In board.c, function board_system_config(), there is this chunk of code (MX8QM example shown) if using an existing/older SCFW that pre-dates this change:

/* Board has 6GB memory so fragment upper region and retain 4GB */
        BRD_ERR(rm_memreg_frag(pt_boot, &mr_temp, 0x980000000ULL,
            0xFFFFFFFFFULL));

User can modify it as follows:

if (ddrtest == SC_FALSE)
    {
        sc_rm_mr_t mr_temp;
        /* Board has 6GB memory so fragment upper region and retain 4GB */
        BRD_ERR(rm_memreg_frag(pt_boot, &mr_temp, 0x980000000ULL,
            0xFFFFFFFFFULL));
        BRD_ERR(rm_memreg_free(pt_boot, mr_temp));
    }

This is disables execution of this section of code if the SCFW is built for the DDR Tool (the same as 1. but needs to be done by the user manually when using an earlier firmware version).

3. Change 0x980000000 to 0xA00000000 in the above chunk of code. That should allow for 8GB density for MX8QM example shown above (for MX8QXP, change 0x8C0000000ULL to 0x900000000ULL for 4GB density).

Attachments
Version history
Last update:
‎02-20-2023 03:45 PM
Updated by: