KSDK I2C EEPROM Example

Document created by Jorge_Gonzalez Employee on Oct 9, 2014Last modified by Ahtziri Yamileth Fernandez Ortega on Dec 1, 2014
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Hello Kinetis world!

Kinetis SDK is here to stay and with it there are good opportunities ahead, such as coding flexibility, portability, RTOS enablement, projects scalability and more.

Right now this is a brand new solution introduced by Freescale, so a lot of tutorials, How-To's and demo codes are coming, in addition to those already in the KSDK installation.

I wanted to share an example project developed with KSDK v1.0.0 and KDS v1.1.1, which uses a simple driver to communicate to an I2C EEPROM memory using a FRDM-K64F board. The driver is focused and was tested with a 256 Kbit memory (24xx256), but it should be compatible with the 64Kbit, 128 Kbit, 256 Kbit and 512 Kbit versions. This demo project demonstrates how to use the APIs of the KSDK I2C Master Driver.

The connections are as next:

FRDMK64_EEPROM.png

Please notice this is not intended to be a robust driver for I2C EEPROMs. Instead consider it a basic demo code, but with time we could improve it.

The attached pdf is an overview/explanation of the example, while the zip folder contains the project for Kinetis Design Studio v1.1.1.

Before the project can be successfully compiled, you need to have installed KSDK v1.0.0 (www.freescale.com/ksdk) and have the FRDM-K64F platform library already built. For instructions on how to build the platform library you can refer to Appendix A of the next document in KSDK installation folder:

C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.0.0\doc\Kinetis SDK K64 User's Guide.pdf

NOTE: Disregard IAR and Keil instructions and refer to KDS part.

Importing and compiling the example project with KDS

1) Unzip the package. It is recommended to place it into your KDS workspace, but it can be located at any place.

2) From KDS go to File -> Import -> General -> Existing Projects into Workspace.

3) Check "Select root directory" and click on "Browse" to search for the location of the unzipped folder. Then click OK.

4) Mark the check box for "I2C_EEPROM_K64" and click on "Finish".

5) Go to Project -> Build Project or simply click on the hammer icon. Build process should finish with no errors.

The project provides a default Debug Configuration to use with the Segger J-Link emulator firmware v2.0 installed in the FRDM-K64F. If you wish to use a different connection please refer to the next link:

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-101845

I hope you like this demo.

Many thanks and credits to Abigail Inzunza Lopez, for her valuable help developing this project.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

1 person found this helpful

Outcomes