AnsweredAssumed Answered

Custom built KL25Z bootloader not responding.  Debugging hints?

Question asked by Robert Poor on Aug 29, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 30, 2017 by Robert Poor

Following guidance from Erich Styger, I have cloned a copy of <ProjectDir>/NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0/targets/MKL25Z4/kds/freedom_bootloader.  Just for testing purposes, I made a single change: I bumped the version number to "K2.0.1" from "K.2.0.0".  It compiles without error, but I'm unable to load and run it.

Here is a link to the project.

Here's a synopsis of what I did (and what happened):

1. I compiled the project, using Debug as a target.
  2. Looking at freedom_bootloader.map, I verified that the image ended below 0xa000.  (__etext = 0x79c8).
  3. `$ arm-none-eabi-objcopy freedom_bootloader.elf freedom_bootloader.srec`
  4. Using the Mac finder, I dragged freedom_bootloader.srec to the /Volumes/FRDM-KL25ZJ/ mount point.  This copied the file to the FRDM-KL25Z board via the USB connection.
  5. Pushed the [reset] button.
  6. `blhost --p /dev/cu.usbmodem202 --verbose --debug -- get-property 0x01` printed [5a a6], but then hung.

The question: Any idea why it's not running?  Or can you suggest steps I could take to debug this?  (I do have a Segger JLINK and a JTAG connector soldered to the FRDM-KL25Z board.)

Some other notes: 

I previously successfully loaded precompiled KL25Z bootloader by dragging it to /Volumes/FRDM-KL25ZJ/ mount point.  I then used blhost to erase flash and load the precompiled led-demo-8000 at 0x8000.  It ran without trouble.

Thanks in advance!

- Robert Poor

Outcomes