Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build a new Linux kernel for T4240RDB

Jump to solution
junjieshi
Contributor I

Board: T4240RDB

SDK: QorIQ-SDK-V2.0-20160527-yocto

The default version for Linux kernel is 4.1.8. I want compile a new Linux kernel with version 4.1.3. How can I modify the files inside the SDK? I have tried some recipes under 'sources/poky/meta/recipes-kernel/linux/'. However, it doesn't work. Is there any suggestions or where can I find some documentations?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Junjie Shi,

Please refer the following method.

Please clean the Cache

$ bitbake virtual/kernel -c cleansstate

Get the source of Kernel

$ bitbake virtual/kernel -c patch

Please go to Linux Kernel source folder build_t4240rdb/tmp/work/t4240rdb-fsl-linux/linux-qoriq/4.1-r0, please remove git folder, then copy and rename your Kernel source folder as git.

If you want to configure and rebuild Linux Kernel, you could use this method.

$ bitbake virtual/kernel -c configure

Please go to the folder build_t4240rdb/tmp/work/t4240rdb-fsl-linux/linux-qoriq/4.1-r0/build

$ make ARCH=powerpc menuconfig

Got to build_t4240rdb

$ bitbake virtual/kernel

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
junjieshi
Contributor I

yipingwang‌ Thanks a lot for your answer! However, I still have a problem when doing the menuconfig: if I come to the folder  build_t4240rdb/tmp/work/t4240rdb-fsl-linux/linux-qoriq/4.1-r0/build and do '$ make ARCH=powerpc menuconfig', there is the menuconfig for kernel 4.1.8 rather than the kernel 4.1.3 in folder 'git'. If I come the the git folder, and do 'make menuconfig' directly, then there is the correct menuconfig window. The configure for the kernel is important for my project, how can I correct this problem? Thanks in advance for you help!

0 Kudos
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Junjie Shi,

Please refer the following method.

Please clean the Cache

$ bitbake virtual/kernel -c cleansstate

Get the source of Kernel

$ bitbake virtual/kernel -c patch

Please go to Linux Kernel source folder build_t4240rdb/tmp/work/t4240rdb-fsl-linux/linux-qoriq/4.1-r0, please remove git folder, then copy and rename your Kernel source folder as git.

If you want to configure and rebuild Linux Kernel, you could use this method.

$ bitbake virtual/kernel -c configure

Please go to the folder build_t4240rdb/tmp/work/t4240rdb-fsl-linux/linux-qoriq/4.1-r0/build

$ make ARCH=powerpc menuconfig

Got to build_t4240rdb

$ bitbake virtual/kernel

Have a great day,
TIC

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos