AnsweredAssumed Answered

LPC185x- Determine cause of core reset

Question asked by Vivien Wong on Oct 17, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 25, 2016 by isaacavila

Hi,

I am trying to detect a reset caused by __RESET and I'm reading the user manual for LPC1857 where there are 2 different ways to determine the core reset:

1. Use a flag in internal RAM to determine the cause of a core reset.
a. Check the value of a flag at the start of execution. Possible flag values are:
i. !=0xAA55 FF01 && !=0xAA55 FF02  power on reset (POR)
ii.0xAA55 FF01  external reset signal (RESET)
iii.0xAA55 FF02  RGU generated core reset
b. After checking the flag, write a value of 0xAA55 FF01 to this flag.
c. Before performing an RGU generated core reset write a value of 0xAA55 FF02 to
this flag.

2. Use bits in the event router registers to determine the cause of a core reset.
a. Check the state of the HILO, EDGE registers, and the RESET_E and RESET_ST
bits in the EDGE and STATUS registers
i. HILO==0 & EDGE==0  power on reset
ii. RESET_E==1 && RESET_ST==1  external reset input (RESET)
b. Setup the event router to detect RESET:
i. RESET_L = 0 // detect a low level (this is the bit's reset value)
ii. RESET_E = 1 // detect a falling edge
iii. RESET_CLRST = 1 // clear the previous event

I tried method 2 but I wasn't able to get it working. My code is this way:

LPC_EVRT->HILO &= ~(1 << 19);  // clear RESET_L to detect low level
                LPC_EVRT->EDGE|= (1 << 19);    // set RESET_E to detect falling edge
                LPC_EVRT->CLR_STAT|= (1 << 19);  // set to clear the previous event

if (((LPC_EVRT->EDGE & (1 << 19) == 1) && (LPC_EVRT->STATUS & (1 << 19) == 1))   // external reset input
            {
                LPC_EVRT->HILO &= ~(1 << 19);  // clear RESET_L to detect low level
                LPC_EVRT->EDGE|= (1 << 19);    // set RESET_E to detect falling edge
                LPC_EVRT->CLR_STAT|= (1 << 19);  // set to clear the previous event

}

The LPC_EVRT STATUS bit 19 (RESET_ST) never gets set even when I manually asserted the __RESET button on my hardware.

As for method 1, what is the address of the internal RAM flag that I can use? Any help at all would be very useful.

Thanks

Vivien

Outcomes