cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I.MX7 PCIe phy link never came up

Jump to solution
ryanschaefer
Contributor IV

I am having issues with PCIe on a Rev D I.MX7 dual sabresd development board. I am trying to use a pcie NIC, but can't get PCIe to work (with or without the card inserted). During boot I see the following:

imx6q-pcie 33800000.pcie: phy link never came up

imx6q-pcie 33800000.pcie: failed to initialize host

imx6q-pcie: probe of 33800000.pcie failed with error -22

I have enabled PCI in the Linux configuration (it isn't enabled by default).

I am using Linux built from source from git://git.freescale.com/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git, revision 77f61547834c4f127b44b13e43c59133a35880dc. I’m using the imx7d-sdb.dtb. I’ve attached my .config as well.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Can someone attempt to recreate the issue I'm seeing to rule out hardware issues? Thank you for your help in advanced

-Ryan

Original Attachment has been moved to: linux.config.zip

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
gfine
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ryan (ryanschaefer),

BTW, the StarTech 10G card (and Intel x550 card) use PCIe x4 connection, and the miniPCIe to FullSize PCIe adapter supports only PCIe x1 Connections.

Cheers,

Glen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ryan

please check that Linux 4.1.15_1.2.0 BSP used (only this release was tested for i.MX7D Sabre)

http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git/tree/?id=rel_imx_4.1.15_1.2.0_ga

http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-processors/i.mx-applications-process...

- try several PCIe cards

- some cards require PCIE_RST correct timing assertion, please check it with oscilloscope

and card documentation

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
ryanschaefer
Contributor IV

Hi Igor,

-The git commit I mentioned and the release tag that you mentioned are the same.

-The error appears regardless of whether a pcie card is used. I believe it is a problem with the pcie host controller

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

on git there are L4.1.15_1.1.0 and  L4.1.15_1.2.0,

could you please verify that latter is used.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
ryanschaefer
Contributor IV

In short, the answer is yes - the latter is used.

The git tag rel_imx_4.1.15_1.2.0_ga and the commit 77f6154783... reference the same thing. You can see that here - http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git/tag/?h=imx_4.1.15_1.0.0_ga&id=rel_imx_4....

Note that even though this branch is imx_4.1.15_1.0.0_ga, it is still the 4.1.15_1.2.0 release.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

could you check Table 23. Known issues and workarounds for i.MX 7Dual SABRE-SD

for PCIe in attached Release Notes and try (if possible) to test verified cards mentioned in

Linux Manual sect.40.4 Using PCIe Endpoint and Running Tests.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
ryanschaefer
Contributor IV

I have checked the known issues and limitations. I confirmed that the RevD board in my possession does in fact have this hardware rework.

I do not have any of the cards listed. Unlike in 40.4.1, the 'lspci' command shows neither the Unkown Device nor the PCIe NIC that I have installed.

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

could you confirm that other cards are also  tested, how many ?

0 Kudos
ryanschaefer
Contributor IV

I tested with PCIe to USB3.0 standard PCIe X1 card. Same errors as listed in question, and lspci has empty output.

0 Kudos
gfine
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ryan (ryanschaefer),

BTW, the StarTech 10G card (and Intel x550 card) use PCIe x4 connection, and the miniPCIe to FullSize PCIe adapter supports only PCIe x1 Connections.

Cheers,

Glen

0 Kudos
ryanschaefer
Contributor IV

Hi Glen,

You can leave this one alive as it may help others.

The x550 from intel, while it is a x4 connection, it does specify in this datasheet that it is compatible with PCIe x1

Intel x550 family datasheet. I am hoping that means it will work.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
gfine
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

ryanschaefer‌,

Any change in status?

Cheers,

Glen

0 Kudos
ryanschaefer
Contributor IV

I tested the Intel x550T1 NIC today and it successfully enumerated on the bus.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
gfine
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ryan (ryanschaefer‌),

Great news. Please let me know if you need any more help.

Cheers,

Glen

0 Kudos
gfine
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

karinavalencia

Can we close as answered.

Glen

0 Kudos
gfine
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ryan,

OK, please let me know as soon as you have tried it. 

Cheers,

Glen

0 Kudos