Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build the yocto SDK?

Jump to solution
pj0585
Contributor III

Hi,

I have built a FRAMEBUFFER image fsl-image-gui following the instructions in "Freescale Yocto Project Users Guide"  "Rev 0, 12/2015" (linux-3.14.52-1.1.0-ga release).

I want to know how can I build the SDK? What is the bitbake target to generate the poky-sdk script?

Regards, Pj

Labels (4)
1 Solution
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

$ bitbake <image> -c populate_sdk

Generates an SDK script to reproduce the rootfs and build

environment for non-Yocto Project build systems.

The Yocto Project™ and Linux® Software Development for i.MX Application Processors

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

$ bitbake <image> -c populate_sdk

Generates an SDK script to reproduce the rootfs and build

environment for non-Yocto Project build systems.

The Yocto Project™ and Linux® Software Development for i.MX Application Processors

Have a great day,
Yuri

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

pj0585
Contributor III

Thanks Yuri!

What does the populate_sdk task do? (I know it generates the script that can be used to install the SDK..)

Can I execute it on my custom image recipe (derived from fsl-image-gui) also?

Regards, Pj

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

"To build the toolchain installer and populate the SDK image, use the following command:

$ bitbake image -c populate_sdk 

The command results in a toolchain installer that contains the sysroot that matches your target root filesystem.

Another powerful feature is that the toolchain is completely self-contained. The binaries are linked against their own copy of libc, which results in no dependencies on the target system. To achieve this, the pointer to the dynamic loader is configured at install time since that path cannot be dynamically altered. This is the reason for a wrapper around the populate_sdk archive.

Another feature is that only one set of cross-canadian toolchain binaries are produced per architecture. This feature takes advantage of the fact that the target hardware can be passed to gcc as a set of compiler options. Those options are set up by the environment script and contained in variables such as CC and LD. This reduces the space needed for the tools. Understand, however, that a sysroot is still needed for every target since those binaries are target-specific.

Remember, before using any BitBake command, you must source the build environment setup script (i.e. oe-init-build-env or oe-init-build-env-memres) located in the Source Directory and you must make sure yourconf/local.conf variables are correct. In particular, you need to be sure the MACHINE variable matches the architecture for which you are building and that the SDKMACHINE variable is correctly set if you are building a toolchain designed to run on an architecture that differs from your current development host machine (i.e. the build machine).

When the bitbake command completes, the toolchain installer will be in tmp/deploy/sdk in the Build Directory."

Regards,

Yuri.

electone
Contributor II

Hello YuriMuhin_ng,

When my bitbake command completed (bitbake agl-demo-platform-crosssdk), there's NO tmp/deploy/sdk in the build directory. But I have these x86_64-nativesdk-pokysdk-linux* folders added on the tmp/deploy/work and tmp/deploy/sysroots directory. I am using imx-4.1.15-2.0.0-agl-demo.

I badly needed that *toolchain.sh file.

Regards,

Elton

0 Kudos
electone
Contributor II

Hello YuriMuhin_ng,

I already fixed it, it should be "bitbake -c populate_sdk agl-demo-platform".

Thanks,

Elton