cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx8mqevk, mfgtool QSPI configuration

jekim
Contributor III

Hello,

I'm trying to burn u-boot image on QSPI by mfgtool. I chose mfgtools-with-rootfs-mx8 package.

From u-boot log on screen, I saw the QSPI is n25q256a of STMicro.

In cfg.ini file, "name = SDCard" was the default configuration. It seems to be modified.

I saw two Nor Flash names from ucl2.xml. They are "Quad Nor Flash" and "FlexSPI Nor Flash".

"Quad Nor Flash" has u-boot files for MX6 and MX7 only according to ucl2.xml.

Do I have to choose name="FlexSPI Nor Flash" for MX8QM device?

If so, eventually imx-boot-imx8qmlpddr4arm2-sd.bin-flash_dcd will be used. Is it suitable for QSPI n25q256a?

Regards,

Jeff

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jeff

seems MX8QM MEK used in the case, there is no need to change cfg.ini file,

one can use appropriate *.vbs file  (like mfgtool2-yocto-mx8-mek-fspi-nor-mt35xu512.vbs)

which loads all necessary parameters automatically.

For MX8QM device "FlexSPI Nor Flash" should be used.

>If so, eventually imx-boot-imx8qmlpddr4arm2-sd.bin-flash_dcd will be used. Is it suitable for QSPI n25q256a?

seems yes.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jekim
Contributor III

Hi igor,

Thank you for reply. If I choose mfgtool2-yocto-mx8-mek-fspi-nor-mt35xu512.vbs, the target device would be mt35xu512aba which has 512M density. I thought the target device is n25q256a which has 256M density according to boot log as I pasted below.

Do I have to modify the vbs file with "qspi-nor-micron-n25q256a-config" instead of "qspi-nor-micron-mt35xu512-config"?

And regarding %board% variable, which one is right, "mek" or "arm2"? 

Best Regards,

Jeff

• part of boot log file

[ 1.186740] hisi_sas: driver version v1.6
[ 1.194132] fsl-quadspi 30bb0000.qspi: n25q256a (32768 Kbytes)
[ 1.202289] slram: not enough parameters.

• screenshot of vbs file

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jeff

>And regarding %board% variable, which one is right, "mek" or "arm2"? 

what board exactly are you using ?

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

jekim
Contributor III

Hi igor,

My board is imx8mqevk (NXP i.MX 8MQuad Evaluation Kit). It seems I have to choose arm2 for %board% not mek, right?

And I created another vbs file for "qspi-nor-micron-n25q256a-config" according to actual QSPI device.

I'm referring to "Manufacturing Tool V2 Linux or Android Firmware Development Guide V2.docx" in order to burn my own u-boot image on QSPI by mfgtool.

The document mentioned "Rename the uboot bin to what you want. Please note that it should align with the file name assigned in the ucl2.xml operation list."

So, I renamed my own u-boot image (flash.bin) to "imx-boot-imx8qmlpddr4arm2-sd.bin-flash_dcd" according to ucl2.xml file.

But, above name is only for state="BootStrap". Do I also need to care another file for state="Updater"?

When I create my own u-boot image for mfgtool, i created imx8mq_evk_mfg.h from imx8mq_evk.h in uboot-imx/include/configs folder. New file has several more config definitions as the document mentioned. I did compilation in the uboot-imx folder. But I'm not sure how newly generated imx8mq_evk_mfg.h file can influence on dtb file generation. Could you please let me understand that? 

Best Regards,

Jeff

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jeff

for i.MX 8MQuad Evaluation Kit should be used mfgtool2-yocto-mx8-evk-*.vbs

scripts. "MEK" boards are developed for i.MX8QM, QX processors, they use "board=mek" parameter

in *.vbs scripts. Note i.MX8QM, QX processors are not publicly released yet and not officially supported.

i.MX8MQ has the same qspi module as i.MX6,7 processors (files qspi-nor-micron-n25q256a-config,

qspi-nor-spansion-s25fl128s-config, qspi-nor-macronix-mx25l51245g-config in mfg tools /files folder),

opposite to i.MX8QM, QX whch use FlexSPI module as in i.MXRT processors.

Best regards
igor

jekim
Contributor III

Hi igor,

Thank you for clarification. I see only mfgtool2-yocto-mx8-evk-emmc1.vbs and mfgtool2-yocto-mx8-evk-sd2.vbs because i.MX8 doesn't have boot option for SPI/QSPI. 

Btw, I'm searching another board to continue the QSPI booting. Then, I should encounter same question again about "Updater" and "*_mfg.h" what I wrote above. Could you add some explanations for the instructions of the document "Manufacturing Tool V2 Linux or Android Firmware Development Guide V2.docx"?

Best Regards,

Jeff

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jeff

one can check *.vbs files examples for other boards. For mfg tools customization may be useful to check below links

4.4. Installing a Development Build using USB — Working with the Rigado Vesta Gateway v1.0.16 docume... 

AMF-ACC-T1652 

Unfortunately I could not understand well your questions, probably it makes sense to create new thread for them.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi Jeff,

I'm afraid you just can't boot from QSPI anyway:

https://community.nxp.com/thread/473293 

Apparently what is written in the docs isn't correct and SPI/QSPI are not available as boot options.

Regards,

Gary