cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx6 & Quad SPI

rans
Senior Contributor I

Hello,

We need to flash and boot from QSPI, but I can't see detailed description of how to achieve this.

I followed the Linux user guide, but I did not find in document how to create  " ARM Cortex-M4 image".

1. I can understand from document that this image is probably composed of u-boot, kernel and filesystem, but can't see how to create it.

2. It is said:

"U-Boot is loaded at the beginning of the QuadSPI memory so that the device can boot from it. The default configuration is that on boot up, U-Boot loads the kernel, DTB, and root file system from the SD/MMC card into DDRAM. The end user can change the default settings according to their requirements. More partitions can be added through the kernel command line. The following is an example of what might be added to the Linux boot command line"

Isn't the "ARM Cortex-M4 already contains u-boot, linux which boot from qspi ? Is there more documentation on this ?

Thank you,

Ran

4 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ran

please check sect.4.4.1.5 Flashing an ARM® Cortex®-M4 image on QuadSPI

attached Linux Guide, I believe you are right that default configuration using root

file system from the SD/MMC card, other can be added by customer.

What processor (full name) used in the case. For flashing QSPI please

use mfg tool running appropriate *.vbs script: like mfgtool2-yocto-mx-sabresd-qspi-nor-n25q256a.vbs

for sabre board or mfgtool2-yocto-mx-9x9-evk-qspi-nor-n25q256a.vbs for evk board.

http://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=IMX6_L4.1.15_1.2.0_MFG_TOOL&appType=license&location=null... 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rans
Senior Contributor I

Hi Igor,

Many thanks for the link and info.

I am using sabre solox6

We have a requirement to program qspi from linux shell, Is it possible ?

If not - The mfg tool seems like a good alternative

I see that it has 3 sabresd scripts:

• mfgtool2-yocto-mx-sabreauto-qspi-nor
  • mfgtool2-yocto-mx-sabresd-qspi-nor-mx25l51245g
  • mfgtool2-yocto-mx-sabresd-qspi-nor-n25q256a

Do you know which one should be used with sabre solo x board ? 

Best Regards,

Ran

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ran

programmimg qspi from linux shell is not supported,

however mfg tools is small linux image and uses linux commands.

Names of these scripts are selfexplaining:

what is the board are you using, there is no just

"sabre solo x board". If it is sabresd then check qspi part :

and use mx25l51245g or n25q256a appropriately.

Best regards
igor

rans
Senior Contributor I

Hi Igor,

Thank you so much.

I think I will boot from sd, and then with telnet/serial I will program all binary into qspi. 

I searched in Linux guide what for the offset for each binary (u-boot,kernel,dtb,fs), and I see that:

"mtdparts=21e4000.qspi:1m(uboot),8m(kernel),1m(dtb),-(user)",

What does it mean ? What is the offset of each binary ?

Regards,

Ran

0 Kudos