cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx-image-full fails building. Some packages failed with an error during build

pstenger
Contributor I

Hello Guys,

I want to use the i.MX8M mini for some ML & KI Application. Therefore I want to build the imx-image-full with Yocto.

I followed the Instructions on the YoctoUserGuide Rev. L5.4.24_2.1.0, 06/2020 and used the "bitbake imx-image-full" command in the end.

First I had some struggles when using Ubuntu 20.4 as host system because the build process hang itselfe after about 20% because of some packages not installing.

Finally using Ubuntu18.04 fixed this issue but unfortunately there are some packages which did not install properly and throw an error. They had a problem with the "do_compile". For example: qtbase, armnn_git 

(I did not save the logs... but I could reproduce it if its needed).

So when the process finished I get no file in ".../deploy/images" which I could flash to the board.

Did someone had the same issues and is there a possibility to exclude some packages from the build process in order to get a flashable file in the end?

Best regards

Patrick Stenger

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Patrick Stenger,

I know it’s sometimes cumbersome but switching to Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 rides out many problems when using the Linux BSP Releases.

Have you installed all the packages listed on the i.MX Yocto User’s Guide? Not having them installed may trigger errors.

Also, have you modified anything on the bitbake configuration or are you using the BSP as is? I would always recommend first baking without changing anything just to rule out errors, and then tweaking to fir your needs.

If you continue seeing errors, would you please post the log to give it a look and try to replicate the issue?

There are of course ways to remove packages, but if they are needed by other packages you would start a chain of errors. Removing qtbase would make all qt content break. If you are not in need of Qt content maybe you can switch to an image without qt content like imx-image-multimedia, but I’m guessing you use the image-full as you will be working with ML.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos

pstenger
Contributor I

Hey gusarambula,

thanks for the fast reply :smileyhappy:

I did exactly as it was described in the YoctoUserGuide:

Host packages:

$ sudo apt-get install gawk wget git-core diffstat unzip texinfo gcc-multilib \
   build-essential chrpath socat cpio python python3 python3-pip python3-pexpect \
   xz-utils debianutils iputils-ping python3-git python3-jinja2 libegl1-mesa libsdl1.2-dev pylint3 xterm

(maybe here is something missing? )

Repo utility:

$ mkdir ~/bin (this step may not be needed if the bin folder already exists)
   $ curl https://storage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo
   $ chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

Yocto Project Setup:

$ mkdir imx-yocto-bsp
   $ cd imx-yocto-bsp
   $ repo init -u https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-manifest -b imx-linux-zeus -m imx-5.4.24-2.1.0.xml
   $ repo sync

Image Build:

$ DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland MACHINE=imx8mmevk source imx-setup-release.sh -b build-full

$ bitbake imx-image-full

Another way I could try is to build a imx-image-multimedia and add the ML packages in the local.config file. I think I read something about this in a guide to. But I guess there are plenty error sources when trying this way... 

Also I try the imx-image-full build on Ubuntu 16.04 now.

Best regards

Patrick

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Patrick, 

I'll try to build this image with the same configuration as I haven't tested, just to make sure there is not an error on the image itself.

Just to be sure, the error occurs when baking the image without any changes? If this works you may start adding packages in the local.conf one by one (unless they are dependent on one another) just to isolate the problem. You can add packages on the image by adding the following command on the conf/local.conf file:

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " package1 package2"

I'll let you know if the image works correctly for me.

Regards,

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Patrick Stenger,

I tested your configuration and it finished building the image successfully. I had an error at first, but running the bitbake command again finished successfully (I had eight multiple threads, it could happen some time that if dependencies are not explicitly defined tasks can run in the wrong order and it will miss dependencies due to other packages files not been ready).

This means that the repositories should be okay. Have you tested baking imx-image-full with no changes? And once this is working correctly you may start adding packages.

Regards,

0 Kudos

pstenger
Contributor I

Sorry for the late answer:

Yes I tried to build the imx-image-full without adding any other packages. I did it as described in my second comment.

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Patrick Stenger,

I was able to bake the image correctly. Albeit I had to run the bitbake command twice, so chances are there may be a missing package or problem with the host setup, albeit the packages you have installed are correct.

If you could attach a complete log and your local.conf file these may help to pin point where the error could be. 

Regards,

0 Kudos