Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX6Q Jpeg encode

Jump to solution
alexisfronteau
Contributor III

Hi,

I would like to jpeg encode packed YUV 4:2:2 raw images with an Apalis iMX6Q.

I have tried to use the libimxvpuapi but it seems to work only with planar 4:2:2

images. Are there others libraries that I can use?

I would like to encode at a rate of 160Mpx/s , is it realistic?

Best regards,

Alexis

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The Chapter 69 of the i.MX6Q RM says that MJPEG can be encoded at up to 8192x8192 size.

Artur

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Actually, VPU can process only planar image data on its input due to its hardware nature. A raw data should be re-formatted to planar before being processed by VPU.

Yes, it is realistic to encode images at 160Mpix/s.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
alexisfronteau
Contributor III

First, thankes for your reply Artur!

But can I encode images of size 3360x2496? cause in the vpu documentation (http://hands.com/~lkcl/eoma/iMX6/VPU_API_RM_L3.0.35_1.1.0.pdf ) it is written about 1920x1088 images.

0 Kudos
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The Chapter 69 of the i.MX6Q RM says that MJPEG can be encoded at up to 8192x8192 size.

Artur

0 Kudos
alexisfronteau
Contributor III

Ok,

I find the reference manual but when I try to compress an image of 8Mpx, it takes 200ms using the libimxvpuapi!

How do I need to do to reach the 160Mpx/s?

Alexis

0 Kudos
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Do you use the L3.0.35 Linux BSP by FSL/NXP? If so, please note that this BSP is quite early and not well-optimized. The better way is to migrate to most up-to-date BSP release. Current release is L3.14.52.

Also, take into the account other possible overhead, possibly related with image re-formatting, reading/storing etc.

Artur

0 Kudos
alexisfronteau
Contributor III

I'm currently using the  Linux-3.14.28-V2 linux BSP and i have written a short program just for encode one image.

Alexis

0 Kudos
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Seems that you use the outdated VPU API Reference document. Please use the attached one. Also, still take into the account the software overhead, related with image reading/storing, it can be significant.

Best Regards,

Artur

0 Kudos
alexisfronteau
Contributor III

Thanks for all!

Best Regards,

Alexis

0 Kudos
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sorry, forgot for the attachment. Please find it :-)

Artur

0 Kudos