cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.mx6 DDR3 64-bit ECC layout

Jump to solution
akohlsmith
Contributor II

I'm looking at using the i.MX6 in an application that requires ECC.

Specifically I am wondering if there are any layout recommendations for using 16-bit wide DDR3L in an ECC configuration (5 devices). Does the i.mx6 (dual or quad) support fly-by routing, or do I have to route such that the address and control lines are trace-length matched? Are there any issues with using "half" of the 16-bit DDR3L memory module for ECC, or do I have to use 9 8-bit wide devices?

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Andrew

only layout recommendations are given in User Guide below

IMX6DQ6SDLHDG

IMX6DQ6SDLHDG, Hardware Development Guide for i.MX 6Quad, 6Dual, 6DualLite, 6Solo Families of Applications Processors

Processors (all) support fly-by routing.

Regarding "any issues with using "half" of the 16-bit DDR3L memory module for ECC" -

I am not aware of such, just because seems nobody else used "ECC" with i.MX6.

Note. processor does not support memory ECC in hardware.

Best regards

chip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Andrew

only layout recommendations are given in User Guide below

IMX6DQ6SDLHDG

IMX6DQ6SDLHDG, Hardware Development Guide for i.MX 6Quad, 6Dual, 6DualLite, 6Solo Families of Applications Processors

Processors (all) support fly-by routing.

Regarding "any issues with using "half" of the 16-bit DDR3L memory module for ECC" -

I am not aware of such, just because seems nobody else used "ECC" with i.MX6.

Note. processor does not support memory ECC in hardware.

Best regards

chip

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
akohlsmith
Contributor II

Thank you very much for your reply; I had expected that the freescale community site would notify me that there was a response, so please forgive my late reply.

I was a little surprised when you stated that no i.MX6 supports ECC; I've been working with a couple of Avnet FAEs and nobody caught this, including myself. This is potentially a deal breaker for us; I need to consult with my peers.

I've got the hardware development guide and it's VERY nice, one of the reasons I'm keen on Freescale is their excellent documentation and support.

0 Kudos