Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX8M SW Video Encoder Linux

Jump to solution
choppad
Contributor II

Hello i.MX Community Gurus?

The i.MX8M does not have a Hardware based H.264 Video Encoder, rather the documentation says that the NXP i.MX8M uses a Software based H.264 Video Encoder.  I have been unsuccessful in finding this software encoder.  Will someone please provide this software encoder such that it can be leveraged throughout the i.MX8M community? pastedImage_1.png

Thanks in Advance,

DeWayne

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
choppad
Contributor II

Hello:

I have found the following SW Video Encoder solution that "should work" on i.MX8M, but not too sure.  Will someone from the community please advise?

x264, the best H.264/AVC encoder - VideoLAN 

x264 is a free software library and application for encoding video streams into theH.264/MPEG-4 AVC compression format, and is released under the terms of the GNU GPL.

I'm hoping that this helps!

DeWayne 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
choppad
Contributor II

Hello:

I have found the following SW Video Encoder solution that "should work" on i.MX8M, but not too sure.  Will someone from the community please advise?

x264, the best H.264/AVC encoder - VideoLAN 

x264 is a free software library and application for encoding video streams into theH.264/MPEG-4 AVC compression format, and is released under the terms of the GNU GPL.

I'm hoping that this helps!

DeWayne 

0 Kudos
joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

you also can try to use build the gst-libav, then use the encoder there.

0 Kudos
choppad
Contributor II

Hello Joan:

I appreciate your response.  Will you please advise the steps to build gst-libav, and then subsequently how to "use the encoder there"?

0 Kudos
joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

one can refer to the linux user guide,. which tell you how to install gstreamer1.0-libav into rootfs, for the SW encoder, maybe the performance isn't good enough, customer needs to improve it by yourself.

0 Kudos
choppad
Contributor II

Joan:

I appreciate your response, however, the CODECs that are inclusive in that download are Audio CODECs.  What I am inquiring about is the H.264 SW Video Encoder.  

Please Advise,

DeWayne

0 Kudos
joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

the yocto should contain these codec, if you need AACP, you can download from the link as below, pls focus on the "

Codecs and other Algorithms (2)":

i.MX 8M Evaluation Kit|NXP 

for more detailed information about codec in the bsp, pls refer to the i.MX Linux® Release Notes

0 Kudos