i.MX7 UART and infra red communication (IrDA)

取消
显示结果 
显示  仅  | 搜索替代 
您的意思是: 
已解决

i.MX7 UART and infra red communication (IrDA)

跳至解决方案
1,407 次查看
demoniacmilk
Contributor IV

Hello,

based on the datasheet, section "15.3.1.1 Features" (subsection to "Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter(UART)"), any UART may be used as an IrDA compatible Interface up to 115.2 kBaud.

This is pretty awesome!

I guess the MX7 handles all the required protocol features (like half duplex with breaks between TX/RX) in this mode. Do I need any external peripherals except the IR-LED/-Diode circuitry?

What approach would you suggest if IR communication at higher data rates is needed (1.152 Mbps or 4 Mbps)? None of the Transveicers I found were support these high data rates (235 kbps max) and found only pure receivers with UART interfaces up to 4 Mbps that do not support 1.152 Mbps data rate (different specifications).

What is the highest baud rate supported by UART? The datasheet stated "Module Input Clock / 16" and then adds a note that this limitation has been removed.

In total, three Mid/high speed receive channels (1.152 Mbps+) and one Low speed transceive channel i required.

Thanks in advance!

标记 (4)
0 项奖励
回复
1 解答
1,109 次查看
jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Lars,

You are correct, you do not need any extra circuitry to use the IrDA mode of the UART interface.  But this is a Low speed mode,  so  The UART supports serial IR interface low speed. In the low speed IrDA mode, the max
baud rate is 115.2 Kbit/s. To support the 115.2 Kbit/s, module_clock frequency must be higher or equal to 1.8432 MHz.

Even the restriction of the clock has been removed for the UART mode,  for the IrDA mode.  it is not guarantee.

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

在原帖中查看解决方案

0 项奖励
回复
1 回复
1,110 次查看
jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Lars,

You are correct, you do not need any extra circuitry to use the IrDA mode of the UART interface.  But this is a Low speed mode,  so  The UART supports serial IR interface low speed. In the low speed IrDA mode, the max
baud rate is 115.2 Kbit/s. To support the 115.2 Kbit/s, module_clock frequency must be higher or equal to 1.8432 MHz.

Even the restriction of the clock has been removed for the UART mode,  for the IrDA mode.  it is not guarantee.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 项奖励
回复