cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX7 Android Browser

Jump to solution
ryanschaefer
Contributor IV

I am testing android on the i.mx7 sabresd platform. The built-in browser is not built when building for sabresd_7d-eng. I noticed that one of the patches excludes the browser because it relies on OpenGL, and the i.mx7d does not have OGL support (or a GPU). I have removed the check in packages/apps/Browser/Android.mk, and was able to include the browser in my build.

The browser unfortunately crashes with the error :

"chromium: [FATAL:gl_surface_android.cc(58)] Check failed: kGLImplementationNone != GetGLImplementation() (0 vs. 0)"

Is there a way to include a OGL software renderer on android? I realize that without a GPU, this could be painfully slow performance wise.

Thanks,

Ryan

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ryanschaefer
Contributor IV

After more research - Android includes a software rendering solution for OpenGL (PixelFlinger), but this only supports up to OpenGL 1.1 I believe. PixelFlinger may have been removed from newer releases - I'm still unsure about this. OpenGL 2.0 is required for many android packages. For example, the built-in browser (and chrome, who both use chromium webengine under the hood), or any app that tries to use WebViews currently crash.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ryanschaefer
Contributor IV

After more research - Android includes a software rendering solution for OpenGL (PixelFlinger), but this only supports up to OpenGL 1.1 I believe. PixelFlinger may have been removed from newer releases - I'm still unsure about this. OpenGL 2.0 is required for many android packages. For example, the built-in browser (and chrome, who both use chromium webengine under the hood), or any app that tries to use WebViews currently crash.

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Our Android BSP for i.MX7 does not support OpenGL.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Have a great day,
Victor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos